Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - SIGDEADLK clarification: (8 Items)

SIGDEADLK clarification  
Hallo folks,

I have a question about SIGDEADLK. I got sporadically this signal with QNX 6.3.2 and a multithread application. 

Looking into the Web and into the QNX documentation I did not completely understand when exactly the kernel deliver such
 signal...
Moreover, what it is really strange is that I'm getting (sporadically) such signal once I try to lock a static allocated
 mutex (initialized with PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER). This mutex is also never destroyed (no call to 
pthread_mutex_destroy)...

Thanks for your help,

-Claudio
Re: SIGDEADLK clarification  
See http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.4.1/neutrino/sys_arch/ipc.html#id20

Cheers,

Colin

Claudio Gregorio wrote:
> Hallo folks,
> 
> I have a question about SIGDEADLK. I got sporadically this signal with QNX 6.3.2 and a multithread application. 
> 
> Looking into the Web and into the QNX documentation I did not completely understand when exactly the kernel deliver 
such signal...
> Moreover, what it is really strange is that I'm getting (sporadically) such signal once I try to lock a static 
allocated mutex (initialized with PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER). This mutex is also never destroyed (no call to 
pthread_mutex_destroy)...
> 
> Thanks for your help,
> 
> -Claudio
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post36218
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
Thanks Colin,

I already read that doc but it is unclear to me the exact meaning of:

"...and if the conditions that would cause the kernel to deliver the event occur, then the kernel delivers a SIGDEADLK 
instead."

If I understand correctly the only condition should be if the mutex enters the DEAD state, BUT how can I get this state 
with a static mutex initialized with PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER and never destroyed?
Are there any other case where I can get this event?

Many thanks for your help,

-Claudio
Hello, 

is there a way to found out which thread / call issued the SIGDEADLK signal? 
Is SIGDEADLK only caused by munmap()? If not, what are the possible functions causing SIGDEADLK to be raised? 

Thanks in advance,
Loïc
Can you capture it in a kernel trace?

Claudio Gregorio wrote:
> Thanks Colin,
> 
> I already read that doc but it is unclear to me the exact meaning of:
> 
> "...and if the conditions that would cause the kernel to deliver the event occur, then the kernel delivers a SIGDEADLK
 instead."
> 
> If I understand correctly the only condition should be if the mutex enters the DEAD state, BUT how can I get this 
state with a static mutex initialized with PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER and never destroyed?
> Are there any other case where I can get this event?
> 
> Many thanks for your help,
> 
> -Claudio
> 
> 
> 
> 
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post36228
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
Hi Colin

> Can you capture it in a kernel trace?

That's extremely difficult for the target application, unfortunately. 

Thanks,
Loïc (on behalf of Claudio)
Is the static mutex in a shared lib?  The SIGDEADLK can only be generated by an unmap killing the mutex.

Claudio Gregorio wrote:
> Thanks Colin,
> 
> I already read that doc but it is unclear to me the exact meaning of:
> 
> "...and if the conditions that would cause the kernel to deliver the event occur, then the kernel delivers a SIGDEADLK
 instead."
> 
> If I understand correctly the only condition should be if the mutex enters the DEAD state, BUT how can I get this 
state with a static mutex initialized with PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER and never destroyed?
> Are there any other case where I can get this event?
> 
> Many thanks for your help,
> 
> -Claudio
> 
> 
> 
> 
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post36228
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
Hello Colin,

the mutex is part of a static library, declared as static and initialized through PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER.

-Claudio