Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1: Page 1 of 2 (14 Items)

ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
Hello,

We have custom way to boot a x86 board from a FAT formated CF, with a .boot file created with mkifs.

This was created in 6.3 days.

Now we want to switch to 6.4, so we have recompiled all our staff (also created .boot file on 6.4.1 system). Boot file 
is "working" on "normal" (not powerfail safe) partition.

But our custom boot doesn't work.

The same boot script compiled with QNX6.3.2 mkifs works fine.

Were there any changes in a way system handles .boot file during boot? I haven't found anything in docs. 

Thanks, PKY

Re: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
The problem solved.

There is a difference in "startup-bios" length in boot files between 6.3.2 and 6.4.1, so also "Image-header" part of ifs
 file was on further addresses and it was causing overrun (0xffff) happening in our code. 

Now taking into account this possibility it's working fine.

PKY

> Hello,
> 
> We have custom way to boot a x86 board from a FAT formated CF, with a .boot 
> file created with mkifs.
> 
> This was created in 6.3 days.
> 
> Now we want to switch to 6.4, so we have recompiled all our staff (also 
> created .boot file on 6.4.1 system). Boot file is "working" on "normal" (not 
> powerfail safe) partition.
> 
> But our custom boot doesn't work.
> 
> The same boot script compiled with QNX6.3.2 mkifs works fine.
> 
> Were there any changes in a way system handles .boot file during boot? I 
> haven't found anything in docs. 
> 
> Thanks, PKY
> 

Re: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
Hello Pavol,

Trust you are doing well!

I know its been a long you had posted the solution to the problem regarding the (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1 
and I am replying to it after 6 years, but I need your help at this point of time.

I am also facing the same problem while switching from QNX 6.3.2 to QNX 6.5.0. I am not able to understand the solution 
which you had posted at that time. It will be a great help if you can give more details to the solution which you had 
implemented at that time to resolve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Deepain Nayyar

RE: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
What exactly is the issue you have run into?
Re: RE: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
Thank you for your response.

We are trying to move from QNX 6.3.2 to 6.5.0. At this point we are only able to get out .boot file generated with mkifs
 if we use startup-bios from 6.3.2. If we use either startup-bios or startup-bios32 from 6.5.0 the .boot file will not 
run at all.

So this really looks like exactly the problem described in the original post. We are looking for a little more detail on
 the solution that was found.

Thank you
RE: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
Which file system are you using?
Re: RE: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
We are running a QNX4 filesystem on X86 architecture.
RE: RE: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
Can you describe the procedure you are using for your migration (step-by-step would be ideal) and exactly where/what 
error you are getting (a screenshot would be helpful).

Thanks!
Re: RE: RE: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
Currently we are not getting any error. On startup it shows hit ESC for altboot ...... and then nothing happens. With 
the previous image .boot file it would boot into 6.3.2 without issue and we are able to get it to do the same with 6.5.0
 but we must substitute the startup-bios binary from 6.3.2 to make that work.

At this stage of our migration we are simply trying to get a preliminary image .boot working. There will be other work 
needed to get out source migrated but we are currently stuck on this initial step. 

Attached is the most recent simple build file we are trying. It will work with the 6.3.2 version of startup-bios but not
 with the 6.5.0 version. 
Attachment: Text Test.build 5.7 KB
RE: RE: RE: ifs (boot) file changes from 6.3.2 to 6.4.1  
Have you tried taking the bios.build file from 6.5.0 and updating it to fit your requirements?