Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX 6.4 SMP kernel on 64 bit Xeon processor: (3 Items)

QNX 6.4 SMP kernel on 64 bit Xeon processor  
I am using QNX 6.4 SMP enabled kernel on 64 bit Xeon processor with 8 cores. 

To test the system, I have written a matrix multiplication program for 500X500 matrix size. I have created seven threads
 to do the multiplication that means each thread will have around 72 rows to work with.

Without setting thread affinity to a particular processor it is working fine, but when I set thread affinity of each 
thread on to each core, Time taken to finish the computation increase drastically. The profiling data shows that threads
 are in ready state but not running. No other proocess is running. It is only smp-procnto which keeps the core busy.

All my threads are with priority 255 and scheduling FIFO

Can someone please explain the behavior. Does this erratic  behavior has anything to do with a 32 bit operating system 
on a 64 bit processor.
Re: QNX 6.4 SMP kernel on 64 bit Xeon processor  
I'm not an QSSL employee but I could say that in such cases it's always preferable to include fragment of code where you
 set thread affinity for inspection. This way you could save time wasted for additional questions.
Re: QNX 6.4 SMP kernel on 64 bit Xeon processor  
Even better send a testcase or at least send a kernel trace too (zipped please!)

Oleh Derevenko wrote:
> I'm not an QSSL employee but I could say that in such cases it's always preferable to include fragment of code where 
you set thread affinity for inspection. This way you could save time wasted for additional questions.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post28302
> 

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com