Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Dumping all physical memory during kernel crash: (3 Items)

Dumping all physical memory during kernel crash  
Is it possible to dump all physical attached DRAM memory to some persistent storage?

I'm wondering how to get around gathering lots of different process state (internal and external) in a system with 
hundreds of QNX processes executing during some hard failure that results in one process requesting a system restart.

We have many GB of Hard disk space available to dump DRAM content to, but I'm not sure how we would go about dumping 4GB
 of DRAM to it in a fashion that would be retrievable and usable for offline analysis (loading cores for various 
processes) after restart.

Has this been solved before?

Thanks
  Darren
Re: Dumping all physical memory during kernel crash  
You could use the kernel dumper, but you would have to implement a disk 
writer.

services/system/doc/kdumper.txt
services/kdumper
utils/k/kdserver
lib/kdutil

Darren Dukes wrote:
> Is it possible to dump all physical attached DRAM memory to some persistent storage?
>
> I'm wondering how to get around gathering lots of different process state (internal and external) in a system with 
hundreds of QNX processes executing during some hard failure that results in one process requesting a system restart.
>
> We have many GB of Hard disk space available to dump DRAM content to, but I'm not sure how we would go about dumping 
4GB of DRAM to it in a fashion that would be retrievable and usable for offline analysis (loading cores for various 
processes) after restart.
>
> Has this been solved before?
>
> Thanks
>   Darren
>
> _______________________________________________
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post23149
>
>   
Re: Dumping all physical memory during kernel crash  
Thanks for the pointer, I didn't realize kdumper had the -A option for this.

Darren