Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Setting remote node System Time/Clock?: (3 Items)

Setting remote node System Time/Clock?  
We have a multi-uC-System where only one controller has a clock chip, so the others all wake up with time "00:00:00 ..."

So how do we set the time of the "slave" nodes?

Of course there is NTPd... which bails out if the difference between the current time and the is-to-be-time is too large
 (which without doubt is the case after booting).
Then there is the possibility of setting the time "manually" to make NTPd's job a bit easier, but this requires that I 
set up my own protocol/resource manager for the CPUs to talk with each other, because I can't remotely set another CPU's
 time via the shell tools - correct?

This is all an ugly kludge...

So there must be a "nice" and QNX-approven way of doing this, right? After all, this is a problem that I expect to occur
 on a daily basis...

Thanks & Greetings,
 Marc
Re: Setting remote node System Time/Clock?  
If you have ntp servers available (even just using the one board with
the clock chip) you can use ntpdate to set the initial time.  Otherwise
you have to roll your own.  (Popular approaches include rdate,
time/daytime, active or passive ssh script, etc.)

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 06:45 -0500, Marc Roessler wrote:
> We have a multi-uC-System where only one controller has a clock chip, so the others all wake up with time "00:00:00 ..
."..
> 
> So how do we set the time of the "slave" nodes?
> 
> Of course there is NTPd... which bails out if the difference between the current time and the is-to-be-time is too 
large (which without doubt is the case after booting).
> Then there is the possibility of setting the time "manually" to make NTPd's job a bit easier, but this requires that I
 set up my own protocol/resource manager for the CPUs to talk with each other, because I can't remotely set another 
CPU's time via the shell tools - correct?
> 
> This is all an ugly kludge...
> 
> So there must be a "nice" and QNX-approven way of doing this, right? After all, this is a problem that I expect to 
occur on a daily basis...
> 
> Thanks & Greetings,
>  Marc
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post21463
> 
Re: Setting remote node System Time/Clock?  
> 
> So there must be a "nice" and QNX-approven way of doing this, right? After all
> , this is a problem that I expect to occur on a daily basis...
> 

I may be missing something, but doesn't "rtc [-s] net <node>" do what you require?

Rob Rutherford