Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Unable to launch QNX at Vbox: (10 Items)

Unable to launch QNX at Vbox  
Hi all, 

I am unable to launch QNX 7.1 on Vbox as x86_64 emulator. I am using Windows 10, QNX 7.10 on evaluation license with 
momentics 7.1.2.v202203081633, and Vbox Versión 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2).

My issue is as follows:

I can create properly the Virtual machine, but when it is started the network cannot be configured and following message
 is shown: ifconfig: getifaddrs: address family not supported by protocol family.

I was trying to deal with this issue using the QNX documentation (https://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/7.1/#com.qnx.doc.
neutrino.utilities/topic/m/mkqnximage.html) but I can not get a solution.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Unable to launch QNX at Vbox  
You could try the latest VirtualBox from the 6.x stream rather than 7.x.

VirtualBox appear to break things every so often, the e1000 interface was broken for months and was subsequently fixed. 
I know there are issues running QNX with 7.x though I don't recall what they are.
Thank you so much for your answer.

I've been testing the 6.x version of Vbox but still not working. 

It seems that the image lost some dependencies, and symbol _ITM_registerTMCloneTable is missed.

Regards, 
Víctor
Hi, I've the same problem on a vmware machine. 
For me it is related to the new PCIv3 Experimental Update : after the update all virtual machines 
have stopped to works, also after they where rebuilded from scratch.
I' ve dig into host/common/mkqnximage files but I've not found anything that justify this error:
maybe some missing/wrong library?
Return back to previous PCI release will fix the problem.
Any idea how to fix this with PCIv3 ? 
And is this update working on a true target ?
Regards,
Mario
Regarding the PCI issue when using mkqnximage if the problem is networking it might be due to the location of the PCI 
database changing with the PCIv3 release. 

You could try changing host/common/mkqnximage/inputs/startup.sh

There's a invocation of setfacl to change ACLs for /dev/shmem/pci_*. The path should be changed to /dev/shmem/pci/pci_*.
Hi, Roget, I've search in my qnx710 instalation and I've not found any reference to  /dev/shmem/pci_* in any files...
however, it's a good suggestion, there might be some template file hiding the pci setting somewhere...
Thanks,
Mario
Actually I was mistaken about the setfacl command. It might be important but only if you're using the --secpol option.

My guess is that the issue is that the PCIv3 update has changed the soversion of libpci to libpci.so.3.0 but all the 
existing PCI clients expect libpci.so.2.0

I believe there is a variant of libpci.so.2.0 that supports older clients with the newer version of PCI (in a PCI shim 
library package).

So, quite possibly if you update the file local/snippets/ifs_files.custom and add:

lib/libpci.so.2.0 

and rebuild your VM then it might work.
Hello Roger, 

I've been trying this way but still don't work. The error at screen is the same as it was.

Thank you so much for your support.
Hi Roger Thank You very much  for the help! 
I've just place these libraries in the hos/common/mkqnximage/snippets/if_files.buildin
lib/libpci.so.2.0 
lib/libpci.so.2.3
lib/libpci.so.3.0 
Rebuilding a new vm and now all works well.
 I've changed the template instate of the /local/snippets as You suggested in order to 
create new machine from scratch with these library (maybe it not the rigth place, but 
it works for me)

For Victor:
I've build also a VM for virtual box (Ver 7.0.6 r155176) and now it works like the vmware image
(Ver 17.0.2 build-21581411)
I works with 7.1 release updated with PCI v3 libraries and all other stuffs using Software Center.

Thank again for support,
Mario

Thank you so much! Now it is working fine after those changes.