Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - io-audio use on Raspberry Pi4: (3 Items)

io-audio use on Raspberry Pi4  
Hello,

I am involved in a project with some young scientists. The project is called "Road Runner". We are looking to do the 
first test run of the hardware and software this coming Friday. All the software being used is under QNX 7.1.

It turned out that we need to temporarily use a Raspberry Pi4 for something. It occurred to me that with its audio 
capabilities it would be a good morale booster to be able to issue in some way a "beep-beep" and/or similar sounds when 
significant events occur.

However, I have never used the audio stuff (io-audio) before and don't know where to start - or even if this is possible
 on the RPi. I assume it is though.

I have looked at the RPi4 BSP documentation and found the bit about io-audio of little use. At least to a novice in this
 area like me! it looks like other stuff is required.

Could someone help me by pointing me in the direction of any resources that might get me started with this - with 
examples if possible? I think all I'd want to do is play a short MP3 file or something like that. A double "chirp" would
 probably do if "beep" wasn't possible.

Any help with this would be much appreciated! :-)

Thanks,

Geoff.

Re: io-audio use on Raspberry Pi4  
Hi Geoff,

Not an audio expert, but this use case can be handled easily.

1. Add deva-ctrl-bcm2711_pwm.so to the build file (if it's not already there)
2. Start io-audio: 

# io-audio -m pool_name=below1G,pool_size=260 -vd bcm2711_pwm

3. Use the 'wave' utility to play any WAV file.

Not an audiophile's experience, but good enough to fool a hungry coyote ;-)

--Elad

On Sun, 2022-09-04 at 19:09 -0400, Geoff Roberts wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I am involved in a project with some young scientists. The project is called "Road Runner". We are looking to do the 
first test run of the hardware and software this coming Friday. All the software being used is under QNX 7.1.
> 
> It turned out that we need to temporarily use a Raspberry Pi4 for something. It occurred to me that with its audio 
capabilities it would be a good morale booster to be able to issue in some way a "beep-beep" and/or similar sounds when 
significant events occur.
> 
> However, I have never used the audio stuff (io-audio) before and don't know where to start - or even if this is 
possible on the RPi. I assume it is though.
> 
> I have looked at the RPi4 BSP documentation and found the bit about io-audio of little use. At least to a novice in 
this area like me! it looks like other stuff is required.
> 
> Could someone help me by pointing me in the direction of any resources that might get me started with this - with 
examples if possible? I think all I'd want to do is play a short MP3 file or something like that. A double "chirp" would
 probably do if "beep" wasn't possible.
> 
> Any help with this would be much appreciated! :-)
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Geoff.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post121909
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail ostech-core_os-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: io-audio use on Raspberry Pi4  
Hi Elad,

Thanks for that!  I managed to get to this late yesterday and had some success.

I downloaded a beep-beep WAV file from off the internet and that worked but was very scratchy to listen to. I'll grab 
something else today and see how that goes.

I could only run the wave utility a couple of times. After that it would do nothing other than to output some stuff to 
the terminal. A reboot gets it going again but again only for a couple of tries.

I am totally unfamiliar with the terminology used with this stuff - specifically the arguments/options for both io-audio
 and wave. The documentation for both state what they are but not what they do or mean.Some obviously don't have 
relevance to what I am doing but others I suspect do. Is there anywhere I can go to find out more about how these audio 
systems/drivers work?

I'll try to play more today - it's difficult as I am surrounded by those who I'm hoping to surprise if I can get this 
working! :-)

Regards,

Geoff.

> Hi Geoff,
> 
> Not an audio expert, but this use case can be handled easily.
> 
> 1. Add deva-ctrl-bcm2711_pwm.so to the build file (if it's not already there)
> 2. Start io-audio: 
> 
>  # io-audio -m pool_name=below1G,pool_size=260 -vd bcm2711_pwm
> 
> 3. Use the 'wave' utility to play any WAV file.
> 
> Not an audiophile's experience, but good enough to fool a hungry coyote ;-)
> 
> --Elad
> 
> On Sun, 2022-09-04 at 19:09 -0400, Geoff Roberts wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > I am involved in a project with some young scientists. The project is called
>  "Road Runner". We are looking to do the first test run of the hardware and 
> software this coming Friday. All the software being used is under QNX 7.1.
> > 
> > It turned out that we need to temporarily use a Raspberry Pi4 for something.
>  It occurred to me that with its audio capabilities it would be a good morale 
> booster to be able to issue in some way a "beep-beep" and/or similar sounds 
> when significant events occur.
> > 
> > However, I have never used the audio stuff (io-audio) before and don't know 
> where to start - or even if this is possible on the RPi. I assume it is though
> .
> > 
> > I have looked at the RPi4 BSP documentation and found the bit about io-audio
>  of little use. At least to a novice in this area like me! it looks like other
>  stuff is required.
> > 
> > Could someone help me by pointing me in the direction of any resources that 
> might get me started with this - with examples if possible? I think all I'd 
> want to do is play a short MP3 file or something like that. A double "chirp" 
> would probably do if "beep" wasn't possible.
> > 
> > Any help with this would be much appreciated! :-)
> > 
> > Thanks,
> > 
> > Geoff.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > 
> > OSTech
> > http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post121909
> > To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail ostech-core_os
> -unsubscribe@community.qnx.com