Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Shutdown dll: (14 Items)

Shutdown dll  
Hi all,

I'm working on QNX 7.0 and using the "shutdown_system_with_reason()"  API : http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/7.0.0/#
com.qnx.doc.neutrino.lib_ref/topic/s/shutdown_system.html

I've provided the shutdown_nvram.so dll . The function "save_reset_info_to_nv()" is being called but the following 
warning also comes along with it:

" open_shutdown_dll: shutdown dll NOT open! "

I've provided another DLL containing the board_pre_shutdown() and board_shutdown() APIs and assigned the dll to 
BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL env variable as told. But the warning still prevails

1. Why is the warning coming?

2. Should we provide 2 dlls?

3. How do the board_pre_shutdown() and board_shutdown() APIS get invoked?
Re: Shutdown dll  
That error message should include the name of your DLL, so I suspect the code couldn't determine it. Did you get any 
error messages before that one?

As the docs mention, if you don't set BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL, the function builds the name based on the type of hardware. 
Did you get an error message mentioning uname()?

If you specified a name in BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL, and dlopen() couldn't open it, then you should have had an error message 
from that call. 

What's the value of BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL?
There is neither any name of the dll included in the warning nor any error mentioning uname()

The only error message that i get is the one that I've mentioned earlier " open_shutdown_dll: shutdown dll NOT open!" . 
There are no other errors present

The value of BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL is "shutdown_test" since I've provided the dll shutdown_test.so along with 
shutdown_nvram.so and assigned the name of the former to the board dll env variable

Another observation is that the error is only coming if I use the APIs shutdown_system() and 
shutdown_system_with_reason().
The error doesn’t appear if I use the “shutdown” utility from the commandline : http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/7.
0.0/index.html#com.qnx.doc.neutrino.utilities/topic/s/shutdown.html
The environment variable needs the ".so" extension in it too. Where is your DLL located?  
I tried it again, and you either have to specify a full path for your DLL in the environment variable, or your DLL has 
to be in one of the directories listed in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or _CS_LIBPATH. I'll add that to the docs.
Hi,

The dlls are kept at "/lib/dll"  location. It is included in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable
I've tried again including the ".so" extension in the board environment variable. I'm still being encountered with the 
same error!
Can you post your code, along with the way you're setting BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL?
I'm assigning the DLL as 
BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL=shutdown_test.so 
or BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL=shutdown_test in the command line

I'm trying to test it both the ways

I've attached the codes for both shutdown_test.so and shutdown_nvram.so
Attachment: Image 2018-07-20_10h28_59.png 10.2 KB Image 2018-07-20_10h29_19.png 9.22 KB
You need to export the environment variable, so that your shell's children get it too:

export BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL=shutdown_test.so

Thanks a lot Steve! It's working :)

You're welcome. I've added a few more details to the documentation to make it easier for others who need to do this.
Hi,

I'm trying to customize the shutdown process by using the callouts provided by QNX : http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/
7.0.0/#com.qnx.doc.neutrino.lib_ref/topic/s/shutdown_system.html

I've experimented with the shutdown_display() and shutdown_progress() callouts by providing them in the shutdown_nvram.
so dll

I've filled those callouts with print statements to check at which point of shutdown process they were being called. But
 I couldn't find any print output on the console from those callouts

I tried placing the functions in shutdown_baord.so(the dll assosiated with BOARD_SHUTDOWN_DLL env variable) too. But 
there was no success.

What is the proper way to use those callouts?
The shutdown utility defines its versions of the callouts in the same C file that calls shutdown_system(). If you want 
them in a separate DLL, you just need to link your program against it before linking against libshutdown.a.
Thanks a lot! Its working. I thought the callouts had to given in the dlls

I have one more question ::

Can you explain the process of shutdown in QNX?

From analyzing the prints of these callouts during shutdown and from the information given in the QNX docs, I could 
understand that the OS first classifies all the processes and then shuts them one class at a time. 

At the end of all this , shutdown_done() callout was called and then board_shutdown() function was called out which we 
have provided in one of our Dll's. After this point, I cannot see any log on the console

What happens after this? Is there any other activities that the OS performs apart from what was analyzed?