Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Getting CPU ID: (5 Items)

Getting CPU ID  
Hi

Is there a way to get the CPU ID using the QNX API?

I found how to tie to a specific CPU, but I couldnt find any documentation on getting the CPU number of the current 
thread
Re: Getting CPU ID  
Hi,

Just to be clear - you're looking for the equivalent of Linux's getcpu(2) or glibc's sched_getcpu(3) ?    I had a 
similar goal in an implementation of ntp's nanosecond kernel for an SMP system.   I couldn't find a nicely packaged 
solution.   You might be able to get what you want by running the DCMD_PROC_TIDSTATUS command on one's own thread and 
checking the last_cpu field.   I needed something safe to run even in an ISR (so I could capture timestamps with the 
lowest possible latencies), so I never investigated that solution further.

-Will
Hi Will

Yes, that is what I needed!

I ended up using a platform specific solution, reading one of system registers indicating the CPU ID
> Hi Will
> 
> Yes, that is what I needed!
> 
> I ended up using a platform specific solution, reading one of system registers
>  indicating the CPU ID

Can you notice, what register already contain cpu number you read? 
I just found how to read Lapic Id and have to transform it into cpu id, using smpinfo from syspage - they are generally 
not the same.
Hi Artem,

On x86 as of the QNX version I'm using, it's stored in the task register, which you can retrieve via the STR instruction
.   I believe the full expression is:

cpunum = ( TR / 8 ) - 32

where TR is the value in the task register.

I haven't personally investigated any other architectures yet.

-Will