Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory: (9 Items)

Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory  
I need to be able to read the interrupt vector (descriptor) table memory in order to periodically perform a CRC 
calculation to verify the table has not been corrupted.  Getting the address of the table seems to work at any privilege
 level.

BYTE            idt[6];

__asm__("sidt %0"
            : "=m"(idt)
           );

However, I get a seg fault when I try to access the memory.  Understandable when done from user code.  I attempted to 
access the memory from a timer interrupt (via timer_create() and SIGALRM) thinking that would allow (put me in ring 0) 
the access, but still get the seg fault.

Anyone have any ideas how to get access to this memory?  Do I need to map it in?  Is code executed in the timer 
interrupt executed at ring 0?

I am using QNX 6.3.2.

Thanks,
RE: Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory  
You need to map it first I would think, then you may or may not need ring 0 to read this, I don`t know. SIGALRM is NOT 
an interrupt, nor is timer_create.  You would need to install a real ISR.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Eric Patrizi [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Envoyé : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:44 PM
À : ostech-core_os
Objet : Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory

I need to be able to read the interrupt vector (descriptor) table memory in order to periodically perform a CRC 
calculation to verify the table has not been corrupted.  Getting the address of the table seems to work at any privilege
 level.

BYTE            idt[6];

__asm__("sidt %0"
           );

However, I get a seg fault when I try to access the memory.  Understandable when done from user code.  I attempted to 
access the memory from a timer interrupt (via timer_create() and SIGALRM) thinking that would allow (put me in ring 0) 

Anyone have any ideas how to get access to this memory?  Do I need to map it in?  Is code executed in the timer 

I am using QNX 6.3.2.

Thanks,

OSTech
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post96167
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail ostech-core_os-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

My guess is, if this gets corrupted you would not be able to check it, the machine would go bye bye.  Don`t know about 
your application but I don`t think it`s wise to assume this doesn`t change.  I doubt it does but I never read anything 
about it NOT changing.

Envoyé : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 8:44 PM
Objet : Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory

level.

BYTE            idt[6];

__asm__("sidt %0"
           );

I am using QNX 6.3.2.

Thanks,

OSTech
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post96167
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail ostech-core_os-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Re: RE: Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory  
Yes, most of the error checking we are required (Nuclear industry) to do is only valid on working hardware.  Any failure
 and the most likely scenario is a dead processor.

I tried using a software interrupt "INT $0x41", but my ISR was never called.  I will put a little more effort into that.
  I picked 0x41 out of thin air,  not sure what software interrupts the OS is using .  Would a software interrupt ISR 
execute in ring 0?  Would you expect the IDTR to have a physical memory address or virtual?  I was assuming physical, 
but the address was a little odd.
RE: RE: Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory  
Interrupt 0x41 ?  You can`t randomly pick an interrupt.  Your best bet is to connect to the timer interrupt, however 
what it is depends on the machine, on some it`s 0 on other it`s 2.   Check InterruptAttach() to install your ISR.

Everything in QNX is virtual, even when running in the context of an ISR, so you must take your physical address and map
 it to a virtual address via mmap()

Envoyé : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 9:58 PM
Objet : Re: RE: Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory

Yes, most of the error checking we are required (Nuclear industry) to do is only valid on working hardware.  Any failure
 and the most likely scenario is a dead processor.

I tried using a software interrupt "INT $0x41", 

but my ISR was never called.  I will put a little more effort into that.  I picked 0x41 out of thin air,  not sure what 
software interrupts the OS is using .  Would a software interrupt ISR execute in ring 0?  Would you expect the IDTR to 
have a physical memory address or virtual?  I was assuming physical, but the address was a little odd.

OSTech
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post96170

Re: Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory  
Eric,

access to ring 0 isn't supported !

--Armin

Eric Patrizi wrote:
> I need to be able to read the interrupt vector (descriptor) table memory in order to periodically perform a CRC 
 level.
>
>      BYTE            idt[6];
>
>      __asm__("sidt %0"
>              : "=m"(idt)
>             );
>
> However, I get a seg fault when I try to access the memory.  Understandable when done from user code.  I attempted to 
>
> Anyone have any ideas how to get access to this memory?  Do I need to map it in?  Is code executed in the timer 
>
> I am using QNX 6.3.2.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post96167
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail ostech-core_os-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
>

Re: Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory  
Ring 0 access may not be necessary.  I was hoping someone might know the answer to that.  When I execute 
    BYTE            idt[6];

__asm__("sidt %0"
           );
I get
 p /x idt = (0xf, 0x2, 0x38, 0x1d, 0xd1, 0xfe)

The limit 0x20f could make sense (QNX only supporting 0x42 interrupts, and it is supposed to be a multiple of 8 minus 1)
.  However, the address 0xfed11d38 does not appear to be a physical address as my x86 board only has 512 MB installed.  
mmap() allows me to map this address, but all I read are 0xffffffff's.  If 0xfed11d38 is a virtual address, I don't 
think mmap can be used.  Does anyone know (or have an idea) how to map access to it?
Try with mmap64, 

Envoyé : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:53 AM
Objet : Re: Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory

Ring 0 access may not be necessary.  I was hoping someone might know the answer to that.  When I execute 
    BYTE            idt[6];

__asm__("sidt %0"
           );
I get
 p /x idt = (0xf, 0x2, 0x38, 0x1d, 0xd1, 0xfe)

The limit 0x20f could make sense (QNX only supporting 0x42 interrupts, and it is supposed to be a multiple of 8 minus 1)
.  However, the address 0xfed11d38 does not appear to be a physical address as my x86 board only has 512 MB installed.  
mmap() allows me to map this address, but all I read are 0xffffffff's.  If 0xfed11d38 is a virtual address, I don't 
think mmap can be used.  Does anyone know (or have an idea) how to map access to it?

OSTech
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post96187

Re: RE: Gaining acces to interrupt descriptor memory  
mmap64 did not appear to work.  I connected to the timer ISR and was able to access the IDT memory without mapping in 
the memory.  I am guessing the address stored in the IDT register is a kernel virtual address and the timer ISR is 
executing from kernel space, it has access to that memory.

Anyway, now my problem is sharing some data between my ISR and task.  Some posts seemed to indicate the ISR would be 
able to access a global variable or use the communication area pointer passed in to the interruptAttach() function.  
However, neither would work for me.  

I am okay with writing a resource manager or device driver if that is required, just do not want to do the work unless I
 know it is needed.