Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - 6.3.2 hangs on boot unless USB disabled: (11 Items)

6.3.2 hangs on boot unless USB disabled  
6.3.2 hangs right after the kernel is loaded (the dots stop printing) on a Dell Optiplex 755 unless the USB controller 
is disabled in BIOS setup.  This machine has Core 2, ICH9, SATA drives.  Without USB, however, there is no keyboard or 
mouse.  Comes up nicely into Photon when USB is disabled.  Has this been seen and fixed? 
Re: 6.3.2 hangs on boot unless USB disabled  
> 6.3.2 hangs right after the kernel is loaded (the dots stop printing) on a 
> Dell Optiplex 755 unless the USB controller is disabled in BIOS setup.  This 
> machine has Core 2, ICH9, SATA drives.  Without USB, however, there is no 
> keyboard or mouse.  Comes up nicely into Photon when USB is disabled.  Has 
> this been seen and fixed? 

Hi Art,

It appears that this seem to be a known hw issue.
And it isn't fixed.

Can You post the output of pci -vvv from that machine ?

Regards,
Jeevan
I'm not sure how much good a 'pci -vvv' will be since the USB controller would have to be disabled to boot.

Here is what happens when booting the 6.3.0 CD with the USB enabled in the BIOS:

Hit 'space' bar
F11 (Enumerator disables)
F4 F5 (Disable the usb enumerator, disable detection for disk controllers other than IDE)
Enter
F6 (Be Verbose)
Starting slogger -s32 -l /dev/text
Starting seedres
Starting pci-bios
Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2937 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff20 - Size 20
Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2938 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff00 - Size 20
Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2934 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff80 - Size 20
Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2935 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff60 - Size 20
Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2936 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff40 - Size 20
Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2920 - Vend 8086 - Class 1018a - Addr 1f0 - Size 8 0
Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2920 - Vend 8086 - Class 1018a - Addr 170 - Size 8 0

System is now hung
When I boot the 6.3.2 CD I never get the chance to press the spacebar.  I'm not sure what this means, but could it be 
the issue in 6.3.2 occurs in startup before diskboot runs?
> I'm not sure how much good a 'pci -vvv' will be since the USB controller would
>  have to be disabled to boot.
> 
> Here is what happens when booting the 6.3.0 CD with the USB enabled in the 
> BIOS:
> 
> Hit 'space' bar
> F11 (Enumerator disables)
> F4 F5 (Disable the usb enumerator, disable detection for disk controllers 
> other than IDE)
> Enter
> F6 (Be Verbose)
> Starting slogger -s32 -l /dev/text
> Starting seedres
> Starting pci-bios
> Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2937 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff20 - 
> Size 20
> Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2938 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff00 - 
> Size 20
> Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2934 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff80 - 
> Size 20
> Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2935 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff60 - 
> Size 20
> Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2936 - Vend 8086 - Class c0300 - Addr ff40 - 
> Size 20
> Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2920 - Vend 8086 - Class 1018a - Addr 1f0 - Size
>  8 0
> Range check failed (IO) - Dev 2920 - Vend 8086 - Class 1018a - Addr 170 - Size
>  8 0
> 
> System is now hung

The pci expert may correct this:
---
The PCI server code allocates one byte low of PCI memory and one byte high of PCI memory. It keeps these values as the 
range of low and high PCI memory. It does the same for I/O space. The server then scans all devices in PCI space and 
checks the I/O and memory ranges for each device against the stored range values to see whether  they are valid or not. 
The is where the "Range check failed" message comes into place.
If a range check fails, the device is placed in the disabled state and is initialized when an application does a 
pci_attach_device() function call.
The PCI server code is standard across all platforms and only the low-level, hardware specific portion changes, so there
 is a generic portion to all the drivers.
----

> System is now hung
IMHO this is because io-usb is started from diskboot.

Jeevan

I did make a kernel with io-usb commented out in the build file.  It made no difference.  In fact, I made a kernel with 
almost everything commented out.  Of course it would not boot, but it did print a few error messages after the dots on a
 good machine.  On this machine with the usb issue, nothing printed after the dots.
> > 6.3.2 hangs right after the kernel is loaded (the dots stop printing) on a 
> > Dell Optiplex 755 unless the USB controller is disabled in BIOS setup.  This
>  
> > machine has Core 2, ICH9, SATA drives.  Without USB, however, there is no 
> > keyboard or mouse.  Comes up nicely into Photon when USB is disabled.  Has 
> > this been seen and fixed? 
> 
> 
> Hi Art,
> 
> It appears that this seem to be a known hw issue.
> And it isn't fixed.
> 
> Can You post the output of pci -vvv from that machine ?
> 
> Regards,
> Jeevan

I asked for the pci -vvv because some expert suggested that *might* be the issue here:
"
Likely the BIOS hasn't  setup the IRQs for the USB chipset.
To get this to work you may need to write a utility that will do
some setup prior to running the USB stack.
"

Dono:
perhaps a BIOS update helps:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/Others/Dell-Optiplex-755-BIOS-07092007.shtml

If not, for debugging purpose it could be an option to in run QNX in VMware (server or workstation) or so.
Or to make a customized boot CD what just enables telnet and /or qconn and doesn't start the usb-subsystem , so that You
 might have a chance to get into this system.

Hope this helps.
Jeevan

I telnetted into the machine after it booted without USB support and did a pci -vvv.  It's long- how would I post it to 
the forum?
> I telnetted into the machine after it booted without USB support and did a pci
>  -vvv.  It's long- how would I post it to the forum?

Hmmm, please post it to my friend and colleague Yao via support.
We will have a look.

Thanks,
Jeevan
Debugging with a build file provided by Javeen it seems the system is fine until pci-bios is started.  Then it hangs.
I have an experimental pci-bios to test that logs a lot of messages.  However, when the problem occurs the machine hangs
.  When it hangs I can't get to the messages that are stored in the memory buffer.  The question is how does one debug 
something like this?  I tried 'slogger -l /dev/ser1' and captured the output but the output stops long before the place 
where pci-bios hangs.