Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Routes automatically change on QNX version 4.2.5: (1 Item)

Routes automatically change on QNX version 4.2.5  
I have a IBM server running QNX 4.2.5 that drives ATM's, and the server has static routes entered in the routing table 
for each ATM.  My problem is that for some reason, some of the routes are automatically changing to a different next hop
, and I think I know why, but I don't know how to stop it.  Example.  I have an ATM whose IP is 172.16.80.225, the QNX 
server's IP is 172.16.5.5 and the static route I have in the QNX server to communicate with the ATM has a next hop of 
172.16.5.1, which is a Nortel Router which has a T1 connection on one of its serial ports connecting to the 172.16.80.x 
network.  The route was added on the QNX server using the following command

route add 172.16.80.225 172.16.5.1

On the Nortel router, I have a primary static route for the 172.16.80.x network that points it through the T1, and a 
backup static route in case the T1 goes down, pointing it to our VPN server, whose IP address is 172.16.5.251, so it 
will automatically fail over if the T1 is down.  If they T1 has any kind of glitch, the router fails over like it is 
supposed to, but also, for some reason, the route on the QNX server for that ATM automatically changes at that time so 
that the next hop is 172.16.5.251 (the VPN server) instead of 172.16.5.1 (The Nortel Router).  It is as if the QNX 
server is saying, 172.16.5.1 is redirecting me to another device on that same network (172.16.5.251) in order to get to 
the ATM, so let me cut out the middle man and change my route so I go directly to 172.16.5.251.  The problem with that 
is that when the T1 comes back up, the Nortel Router automatically sends traffic back through the T1 the way it is 
supposed to, but the QNX route has automatically changed to go through the VPN, and it doesn't need to any more, and it 
won't automatically change back.  Thus the QNX is trying to send the ATM traffic through the VPN tunnell, and it is 
coming back to the QNX server through the T1, which is not allowed, so the ATM is down until I go into the QNX server, 
delete the route to the ATM that now has a next hop of the VPN server by typing 

route delete 172.16.80.225 172.16.5.251

And then add back the original route for the ATM that has a next hop of the Nortel Router by typing 

route add 172.16.80.225 172.16.5.1.

Once I do that, the ATM immediately comes back up.  Can someone tell me how to set QNX so that the static routes that 
are in the system don't automatically change based on how it is redirected by any other routers and their associated 
failover routes.  I don't want the QNX server to govern the way it gets to a destination.  I want it to go to the next 
hop that I give it, and if that next hop needs to change based on metric because the primary route goes down, the router
 can control that part.  I don't need the QNX server to find a better route automatically, I just want it to send the 
traffic where I tell it with my static routes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Justin Matthews
First Banking Services
850-796-2216