Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
BroadcastCommunity.qnx.com will be offline from May 31 6:00pm until June 2 12:00AM for upcoming system upgrades. For more information please go to https://community.qnx.com/sf/discussion/do/listPosts/projects.bazaar/discussion.bazaar.topc28418
Forum Topic - QNX and 64-bit.: (5 Items)

QNX and 64-bit.  
Hello all, 

I work for Zomojo, who are a company implementing extremely low-latency network hardware for running financial 
transactions. As part of our quest for low-latency, we've come to the sad conclusion that commodity operating systems 
like Linux simply don't cut the mustard, and QNX's bound multiprocessing model seems to match our needs very well. 
Without having played with it, I've seen mention elsewhere that QNX is at present a fully 32-bit OS without support for 
x86-64. 

Is this accurate? We could potentially try to migrate our software back to 32-bit compliance, but would far rather avoid
 the pain. In particular we're interested in atomic updates of 64-bit variables. 

If it is accurate, are there any plans for a 64-bit version? 

Many thanks in advance,

Dave. 
Re: QNX and 64-bit.  
Unfortunately we missed the 64 bit boat by releasing QNX 6.4 
prematurely, as a 32 bit OS.

Now we're obliged to look into 66 bits for QNX 6.6, but that is going to 
take some thinking...

:-)

On 10-03-31 10:55 PM, David Snowdon wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I work for Zomojo, who are a company implementing extremely low-latency network hardware for running financial 
transactions. As part of our quest for low-latency, we've come to the sad conclusion that commodity operating systems 
like Linux simply don't cut the mustard, and QNX's bound multiprocessing model seems to match our needs very well. 
Without having played with it, I've seen mention elsewhere that QNX is at present a fully 32-bit OS without support for 
x86-64.
>
> Is this accurate? We could potentially try to migrate our software back to 32-bit compliance, but would far rather 
avoid the pain. In particular we're interested in atomic updates of 64-bit variables.
>
> If it is accurate, are there any plans for a 64-bit version?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Dave.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> OSTech
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post51005
>
>    

-- 
cburgess@qnx.com
With 154 reads of this thread (at the time I post this), logged by the portal, I would suspect that there may interest 
in seeing QNX go 64bits....

Did you ever try to port code to 64 bit?
Have you ever looked at the sources which were freely available in SVN since recently?
If the answer for both questions would be "yes" you would not ask questions like that.

To QSSL devs: Sorry guys for touching you on a sore place - my code has similar problems.
You're right...sorry about that... ahhh the bliss if ignorance....you should try it ;).

Seriously though, my last post on this was out of line, my apologies....