Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - mmap on slow I/O devices can block unrelated thread creation for several seconds: (2 Items)

mmap on slow I/O devices can block unrelated thread creation for several seconds  
When doing an mmap() on a file that resides on a slow I/O device, procnto can block other (unrelated) threads in the 
mmap’ing process for the duration of the mmap() (which can take several seconds on a slow medium like NOR flash if the 
flash filesystem happens to be doing a reclaim). Without looking into procnto’s code, my guess is that the process 
address map is being locked for the duration of the mmap() call, and that anything else that needs to modify the address
 map (such as new thread creation) is blocked until the mmap() completes.

Attached is a simple test case that proves the problem. "mmap_test.zip" contains a simple program (mmap_test) that 
spawns two continuously working threads: a low-priority (5) write thread that continually opens, mmaps/modifies/msyncs/
munmaps, and closes a file, and a high priority (40) thread that continually spawns and joins on a temporary thread (the
 temporary thread exits as soon as it is created). The high priority thread also sleeps for a few milliseconds every few
 loops to ensure it doesn't starve everything else out. 

Inside the zip file is an eight second trace of this running on a PPC SMP platform where the file being written to was 
on a NOR flash device. In the trace, mmap_test’s create_destroy_thr is the high priority thread that should be creating
 and joining to the temporary thread that immediately exits (Thread 4); however, create_destroy_thr is getting stuck in 
the WaitThread state for a couple seconds while devf-generic is presumably doing a reclaim. I've also reproduced this on
 an x86 single CPU device where the persistent file write was to an IDE compact flash device (though then the 
pthread_create delays are on the order of 90ms, not 1.5seconds).

The mmap_test program takes two options: -f <filename> (required) and -w (optional; indicates to do a plain open/write/
close without mmap). If I do just plain open/write/closes, the problem does not occur.

(I originally found this when my thread pool resource manager sometimes failed to handle incoming messages for a couple 
seconds. One of the threads in my server was doing an mmap() on a NOR flash device; if the NOR flash device happened to 
be in a reclaim, the thread pool could be blocked from creating a new thread during the other thread’s mmap().)

I’ve also filed a support ticket against this (CaseID00100888).
Attachment: Compressed file mmap_test.zip 891.4 KB
Re: mmap on slow I/O devices can block unrelated thread creation for several seconds  
This isse has been internally reported as PR 74700.