Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - x86 , loading image from compact flash is very slow: (3 Items)

x86 , loading image from compact flash is very slow  
Hello,

I 'm using QNX6 on a x86 VME board. The loading image process, from a compact flash  is very slow, causing a reset to 
ready time greater than more 1 minute. The kernel image is about 2 Mbytes. I don't know if it's related to the bios 
(phoenix) or the ide. However that may be, once the system has booted, access to the compact flash is very fast.   
Anyone has experienced this problem ? I'm wondering why the loader is so slow ? 

Philippe
Re: x86 , loading image from compact flash is very slow  
Hi Phillipe,

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but yeah - the Phoenix BIOS is likely a contributing factor.   We use a common boot 
platform from CFs on a wide variety of x86 boards, both embedded and not.  Consistently machines with Award or AMI 
BIOSes takes a fraction of a second to load the 1.5MB .boot image - the little dots just zip across the screen; however,
 the Phoenix based boards take a very long time (10+ seconds).  We've tried both ipl-pc2 and ipl-pc2-flop, as well as 
some 3rd party ipls without any change in measured speed.

You could try talking to your board manufacturer - maybe they can do something to help?  For our systems boot time isn't
 critical, so while it was a nuisance we never followed up on it.

-Will
Re: x86 , loading image from compact flash is very slow  
Hi Will,

Thanks for your answer.
I'm going to get more informations about this problem from my board's reseller.
Regards