Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Power managment?: (5 Items)

Power managment?  
I'm interested in people's ideas about what power managnemt stuff qnx should do. 

Personally i think the whole idea of disk drive firmware deciding to power down is silly. 
Re: Power managment?  
There need to be a central decision maker (policy manager), that actively track the system, or accept events from 
different hardware, make the decision, and "Drive"/"Tell" different hardware change the power states.

Some hardware now have PM ICs, so the decision maker might take advantage of. 
I agree. The fundemental decision need to some from "the top". The example I like to give is that when I am in my source
 editor, I dont want my harddrive to power down, even if I stare dumbly at my code editor for more than two minutes.  

I think power managment system need a notion of task state from which power configurations are derived.   

There is quite a bit of stuff published on the topic. I'm still plowing though it. I 've yet to find a scheme that 
really appeals to me. However, none of them are based on the idea that low-level devices autonomously turn themselves 
off. 

-ad 
> I agree. The fundemental decision need to some from "the top". The example I 
> like to give is that when I am in my source editor, I dont want my harddrive 
> to power down, even if I stare dumbly at my code editor for more than two 
> minutes.  

That's why it's vitally important that we incorporate webcam-based face recognition algorithms into the final scheme.  
Plus dumb expression detection too... :-)

--
cburgess@qnx.com
Actually. That will probably happen someday. 

But i figure the application software on, say a cell phone, knows that the user is talking, so it shouldnt let the radio
 autonomously power-down just because the speaker is at a loss for words.