Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Virutal to Physical Address Conversion: (4 Items)

Virutal to Physical Address Conversion  
Greetings,

Does anyone know of a way to convert virtual addresses from other processes into their physical address in ram? I'd like
 to have a monitoring process go through all the running processes and find where their code/data section is in ram. Any
 suggestions would be great. Thanks.
AW: Virutal to Physical Address Conversion  
shortest answer: try pidin and showmem sources

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von:	Hayder Mouhammed [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com]
Gesendet:	Di 17.03.2009 18:17
An:	osmeta-core_os
Cc:	
Betreff:	Virutal to Physical Address Conversion

Greetings,

Does anyone know of a way to convert virtual addresses from other processes into their physical address in ram? I'd like
 to have a monitoring process go through all the running processes and find where their code/data section is in ram. Any
 suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Harman Becker Automotive Systems GmbH
Management Board: Dr. Klaus Blickle (Chairman), Dr. Udo Hüls, Michael Mauser
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ansgar Rempp | Domicile: Karlsbad | 
Local Court Mannheim: Register No. 361395

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat 
sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und loeschen Sie diese Mail
. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have 
received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, 
disclosure or distribution of the contents in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
Attachment: Text winmail.dat 3.43 KB
Re: AW: Virutal to Physical Address Conversion  
If I use "pidin mem", "pidin pmem", showmem, I can see how big the code/stack size is and virtual addresses, but how can
 you get another process to translate that process' virtual address. Example: all processes return the beginning of 
their code space as 0x48040000, but if you try to use mphys() that will return the physical address of the monitoring 
process.
AW: AW: Virutal to Physical Address Conversion  
I don't see a chance for you as long as you try to do this from a different process.
This would break some fundamental memory protection issues.
The mapping tables (v -> p) are stored in procs memory.

What about doing a bit different:

write a SO that is including either a signal handler or a very simple resmgr and also the functionaloty needed to map 
the virt -> phys stuff.
having this SO, you could use LD_PRELOAD so that this lib is loaded additionaly with the process you want to moinitor.
then, when ever you want the mappings you send a signal or simple string to the resmgr and the libs is doing what it 
should.

This way you can work inside of you process

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von:	Hayder Mouhammed [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com]
Gesendet:	Di 17.03.2009 19:15
An:	osmeta-core_os
Cc:	
Betreff:	Re: AW: Virutal to Physical Address Conversion

If I use "pidin mem", "pidin pmem", showmem, I can see how big the code/stack size is and virtual addresses, but how can
 you get another process to translate that process' virtual address. Example: all processes return the beginning of 
their code space as 0x48040000, but if you try to use mphys() that will return the physical address of the monitoring 
process.

Harman Becker Automotive Systems GmbH
Management Board: Dr. Klaus Blickle (Chairman), Dr. Udo Hüls, Michael Mauser
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ansgar Rempp | Domicile: Karlsbad | 
Local Court Mannheim: Register No. 361395

Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat 
sind oder diese E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und loeschen Sie diese Mail
. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have 
received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, 
disclosure or distribution of the contents in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
Attachment: Text winmail.dat 3.9 KB