Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX segment market tendencies: (2 Items)

QNX segment market tendencies  
Since a long time to here, I observed the tendencies changes (?) of the OS segment market (I may be wrong). 

The first sentence from QNX Neutrino home page alarm me: 

The QNX Neutrino RTOS provides a comprehensive, integrated set of technologies to help quickly deliver robust, reliable 
"embedded systems"

I always knew that QNX is a very reliable and scalable SO, but in 4.25 days I thought in "embedded systems" as an 
implementation "option". 

Now (perhaps it always was) it seems like embedded systems is the only (this is the central point of my question), 
segment market that QNX are tending and the option of great scalability became an issue inherited from the original 
master concept. IMHO it's sad to see an outstanding feature like that die out.

I wonder to myself whether QNX remains the ideal operating system needed in a distributed environment. 

Maybe you can help me to understand where is going the development of QNX in the future.

Regards, 
Juan Manuel 
Re: QNX segment market tendencies  
Actually, we have not changed the direction and capabilities of our operating system.  Scalability (including 
distributed processing capability) will always be a key feature of Neutrino.

I think your question pertains to the definition of an "embedded" system.  From aQNX perspective, embedded covers the 
full spectum of devices/systems that are not intended as a general purpose computing platforms.  This include small 
devices such as security cameras to large systems such as multi-processor distributed networking systems (such as large 
scale routers)

In fact or definition of "embedded" even covers PCs that are intended for a single purpose such as building automotion,
 factory automation, etc. that are deployed for a specific purpose.

Hope this helps...
Kerry