Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - qnx 4.25 login problem: (17 Items)

qnx 4.25 login problem  
This may not be the right place. I am a computer tech for five flight schools. I've never had this problem and I hope 
someone here can help me. One of the flight school bought a flight simulator from Mynix. As they are the smallest of 
schools they could not afford the larger, newer flight sims, so they bought one that was working but old. After having 
it moved from coast to coast, at some point they lost the log ins and can not get it running. The sim is huge and looks 
like its part of a Plain. The sim is set up on a network of four computers. One is for the projector, one for the 
copilot and the other for the pilot. All run windows. The main computer that talks to the simulator itself, and then 
runs all the calculations for the sim is running qnx 4.25. It comes up with a log in that no one knows the name or pass 
word to. I can type in root and its pass word but it just logs in the shows a # sign under today's date. I am unsure how
 to get the program, if any to start. ITs a 15k machine that's worthless without this one computer. Also, I called the 
company who made it and no one there knows how to fix it. The item is so old that the people who worked there who knew 
how to get it to work no longer work there. If this is not the right place for posting this I'm sorry. If it is not it 
would be great and much appreciated if any one could point me in the right direction. 
Attachment: Image 2014-01-28 11.51.53.jpg 1.48 MB
RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
The screen shot shows you are logged in properly.  

Before that there are a bunch of suspicious errors, are they expected? Are they part of the problem?  Don't know.

Maybe it`s just a matter of starting the right program from the prompt #.  I guess you could look on the HD for programs
 that are not part of the OS to see if one of them is the one you need.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Bryan S [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Envoyé : Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:54 AM
À : osmeta-core_os
Objet : qnx 4.25 login problem

This may not be the right place. I am a computer tech for five flight schools. I've never had this problem and I hope 
someone here can help me. One of the flight school bought a flight simulator from Mynix. As they are the smallest of 
schools they could not afford the larger, newer flight sims, so they bought one that was working but old. After having 
it moved from coast to coast, at some point they lost the log ins and can not get it running. The sim is huge and looks 
like its part of a Plain. The sim is set up on a network of four computers. One is for the projector, one for the 
copilot and the other for the pilot. All run windows. The main computer that talks to the simulator itself, and then 
runs all the calculations for the sim is running qnx 4.25. It comes up with a log in that no one knows the name or pass 
word to. I can type in root and its pass word but it just logs in the shows a # sign under today's date. I am unsure how
 to get the program, if any to start. ITs a 15k machine that's worthless without this one computer. Also, I called the 
company who made it and no one there knows how to fix it. The item is so old that the people who worked there who knew 
how to get it to work no longer work there. If this is not the right place for posting this I'm sorry. If it is not it 
would be great and much appreciated if any one could point me in the right direction. 

OSMeta
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post108196
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail osmeta-core_os-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Re: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
The errors are because its not plugged into the network of computers. I had to unplug it and bring it home as home work.
 I am logged in under root but i am unsure what programs there are to use. I'm used to windows and even command lines in
 dos. The commands I have found online for this sys I am unsure about using. If I destroy something I will never get it 
back. 
It might be trying to start up 'accent_start' from the network.
ie. if it was on the network, it might just work...

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 01:20:31PM -0500, Bryan S wrote:
> The errors are because its not plugged into the network of computers. I had to unplug it and bring it home as home 
work. I am logged in under root but i am unsure what programs there are to use. I'm used to windows and even command 
lines in dos. The commands I have found online for this sys I am unsure about using. If I destroy something I will never
 get it back. 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> OSMeta
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post108198
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail osmeta-core_os-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Just got back to the office a few minutes ago and tried #acsent_start. Said not found. Is there  a way of finding all 
the programs that are on the computer via a command?
Re: qnx 4.25 login problem  
Here's some light reading that may help... :-)

http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/qnx_4.25_docs/qnx4/

On 2014-01-28 1:45 PM, Bryan S wrote:
> Just got back to the office a few minutes ago and tried #acsent_start. Said not found. Is there  a way of finding all 
the programs that are on the computer via a command?
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> OSMeta
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post108202
> To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail osmeta-core_os-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Re: qnx 4.25 login problem  
This is the window I get when I plug it back into its network. I don't know what the login is but if I use root I can 
log in under that. Once there I cant find any commands that can show me whats on the drive. I had thought about using a 
linix cd disc to boot it up but when loaded it only showed the cd rom and floppy drive but not the HD. I took the drive 
out and put it into a windows computer and it found the drive but asks to be formatted. Its very old and the drive its 
self is only 3gb's. There was a cd at one point that ran a program for the user so they did it need to log in each time 
but that cd is missing. With out knowing whats on the drive I can't guess at what command to use. 
Attachment: Image 2014-01-31 15.49.03.jpg 1.83 MB
RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
The QNX file system is proprietary. The filesystem could be read by Linux but I don't think it does by default, you have
 to install the modules for that. Windows has no support for it.

Can you run a command like ls ?

Envoyé : Monday, February 03, 2014 3:46 PM
Objet : Re: qnx 4.25 login problem

This is the window I get when I plug it back into its network. I don't know what the login is but if I use root I can 
log in under that. Once there I cant find any commands that can show me whats on the drive. I had thought about using a 
linix cd disc to boot it up but when loaded it only showed the cd rom and floppy drive but not the HD. I took the drive 
out and put it into a windows computer and it found the drive but asks to be formatted. Its very old and the drive its 
self is only 3gb's. There was a cd at one point that ran a program for the user so they did it need to log in each time 
but that cd is missing. With out knowing whats on the drive I can't guess at what command to use. 

OSMeta
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post108574
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail osmeta-core_os-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com
Yes I can and this is what I get. The cd that used to auto run, ran a program in the hd. Im unsure of what its called 
and how to run it. let alone how to make the cd again. Any more ideas would help greatly. 
Attachment: Image 2014-02-04 11.25.10.jpg 2.13 MB
RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
That looks like a normal  QNX4 disk. The programs you are looking for could be under /home.  But it could be anywhere on
 the disk...

Envoyé : Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:24 PM
Objet : Re: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem

Yes I can and this is what I get. The cd that used to auto run, ran a program in the hd. Im unsure of what its called 
and how to run it. let alone how to make the cd again. Any more ideas would help greatly. 

OSMeta
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post108585
Re: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
I can now look under each folder on the hd thank you very much you have no idea how much this helps. My problem is short
 of learning all new code Im unsure of what to look for. This sys doesn't run .exe files or .su files correct ? What 
would a runnable program file look like ? 
Attachment: Image 2014-02-04 12.37.07.jpg 2.04 MB
RE: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
Program that can be run have an executable flag attach to them.  You can look at the flags by doing  "ls -l(el)", -l 
stand for long format.    It's the x has seen in the left side. However if the first letter is d instead of - that means
 it's a directory.

-rwXrwXr-X  1 root      root          54715 Feb 04 00:50 pax
-rwXrwXr-X  1 root      root          25413 Feb 04 00:50 ps

Under QNX and linux for that matter, the file name is NOT an indication of what the program is or does.  The . is not a 
separator, it's a character just like any other.  Extension have no mean to the computer, only to the human.

Envoyé : Tuesday, February 04, 2014 12:53 PM
Objet : Re: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem

I can now look under each folder on the hd thank you very much you have no idea how much this helps. My problem is short
 of learning all new code Im unsure of what to look for. This sys doesn't run .exe files or .su files correct ? What 
would a runnable program file look like ? 

OSMeta
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post108587
Re: RE: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
So the program that I can run are anything with and X to the far right ? like .photon,bin,boot,dev,etc ?
Attachment: Image 2014-02-04 13.45.00.jpg 1.95 MB
RE: RE: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
Any x anywhere but it must NOT start with a d ( like dev ) .  

Also all these files you mention are related to QNX, it is probably not what you are looking, and if you start something
 that should be start, you could crash the machine.  Stay away from dinit, rm, rmdir, mv, to name a few.  

Do a each on QNX site for commands you don`t know about before starting them.  If you know anyone that knows  linux they
 should feel somewhat comfortable and could help you find what you are looking for.

Envoyé : Tuesday, February 04, 2014 1:53 PM
Objet : Re: RE: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem

So the program that I can run are anything with and X to the far right ? like .photon,bin,boot,dev,etc ?

OSMeta
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post108591
Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
At the start of this I had a screen shot of when the computer started up. It looked like it was looking for a cd to run 
something. Im guessing it was a bootable cd rom that ran the programs ont he drive. 

automap: not found
ascent_start: not found

I found a folder thanks to everyones help that is named Ascent. I still can not find that program. If thats what I need 
to run. To run a program do I simply type the name in the cmd line ? Also, what does the l mean in the front of the run 
time?
Attachment: Image 2014-02-04 14.08.27.jpg 1.83 MB
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
The l means it`s a link, a file/folder that is a pointer to the real file/folder

Envoyé : Tuesday, February 04, 2014 2:16 PM
Objet : Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem

At the start of this I had a screen shot of when the computer started up. It looked like it was looking for a cd to run 
something. Im guessing it was a bootable cd rom that ran the programs ont he drive. 

automap: not found
ascent_start: not found

I found a folder thanks to everyones help that is named Ascent. I still can not find that program. If thats what I need 
to run. To run a program do I simply type the name in the cmd line ? Also, what does the l mean in the front of the run 
time?

OSMeta
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post108594
Re: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: qnx 4.25 login problem  
You could try also using the following to help:

alias | more <- this will list any known aliases created for root

cat /etc/passwd <- will list all users on the system

cat /etc/config/sysinit <-The /etc/config/sysinit file is a script that starts up the main system services. In order to 
edit this file, you must log in as root.

looking in /usr/bin