Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Running Qt applications on QNX: (4 Items)

Running Qt applications on QNX  
Hello,

I'm trying to get Qt applications running on QNX 4.5. I've compiled Qt 4.6.3 on a linux box with this configuration:

./configure -xplatform unsupported/qws/qnx-i386-g++ -embedded i386 -no-gfx-linuxfb -no-mouse-linuxtp -no-kbd-tty -no
-qt3support -qt-gfx-qnx -qt-mouse-qnx -qt-kbd-qnx -no-exceptions -little-endian -nomake demos -nomake examples

"make" required certain tweaking of environment and commenting out one function, but worked in the end. I've copied 
fonts and compiled Qt libraries onto QNX running in VMware, and created a sample Qt app (it just displays a button) 
which I compiled on my linux box and copied over to QNX.

I have a little script to launch the app:

io-display -d vid=0x15adh,did=0x405h
    /usr/photon/bin/devi-hid -Pr kbd mouse
    ./app

Which runs the application, enabling experimental input drivers. With this script I was able to get somewhere by running
 the Qt app in Photon - screen rendering gets all screwed up, but I do see my Qt application.

However, if I exit Photon into a text mode, and try to run the application from there (using a slightly modified script 
with different vid and did values for launching the graphics server), I just see a blank screen.

I'm completely new to QNX and Qt, so I'm a bit stuck right now. I'm trying to read up on how Photon works and what kind 
of environment it sets up, to find what I might be missing in the text mode. However, I'm not sure this is even a right 
direction... So any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Grigory.
Re: Running Qt applications on QNX  
On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 02:07:42PM -0500, Grigory Kruglov wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I'm trying to get Qt applications running on QNX 4.5. I've compiled Qt
> 4.6.3 on a linux box with this configuration:

Are you sure you're using qnx4?  I suggest using pkgsrc.  4.7.1
works for me on current stuff (should work on 6.5).  It's on
X windows though which depending on your hardware you may
need to fight with.

http://community.qnx.com/sf/projects/pkgsrc

Regards,

-seanb
Attachment: Image Screenshot.png 1.31 MB
Hello Mr.Grigory,

We are also trying to run QT based application on QNX4.25.
We need to get QT compiled on our Ubuntu Linux machine for QNX4.25. 
Found your post on initial research.
Had your efforts on running QT applications on QNX4 version fulfilled?
Could you please give us the detailed steps on compiling QT on a Linux machine and running QT applications on QNX4.25?

Thanks,
Honey S
Hi,

There are a couple of issues here...

> We are also trying to run QT based application on QNX4.25.

I don't think anyone ever did this.

> We need to get QT compiled on our Ubuntu Linux machine for QNX4.25. 

Do you even know how to develop applications for QNX 4? If you knew, you'd be aware that QNX 4.25 cannot be targeted 
from Linux. 

> Could you please give us the detailed steps on compiling QT on a Linux machine
>  and running QT applications on QNX4.25?

Let's go to the realm of fantasy for a moment and imagine you could build Qt (say, Qt4.8, or even Qt5) for QNX 4.25. 
That would only work using the Watcom compiler shipped with QNX 4. 

Even if that succeeds, there is no support inside Qt targeting QNX4. For every OS that is supposed to run Qt 
applications, there is a "platform plugin", and there is none for QNX4 that I'm aware of. Someone would need to write it
 - can you do it? 

On the other hand, Qt support is all there for QNX 6.6. The effort migrating to QNX 6 will be indefinitely lower than 
trying to get Qt running on QNX4. Face it, QNX4 is as old as Windows 3.11!

Now, there might be reasons preventing you from migrating, e.g. you have lost your source code. Then, maybe, you could 
try the RTS Hypervisor. Maybe RTS can support QNX4, and this way you can continue running your QNX 4 based code on one 
of the many cores of today's x86 CPUs. The other core could run QNX 6 and there you can run Qt. :) Done!

I strongly suggest contacting your QNX Sales Rep to discuss options for a CSP (Custom Support Plan) Service. Of course, 
if you don't have any budget, you are doomed.

Good luck and Best Regards,

- Malte