Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Issues on building QNX 6.6 IFS/EFS image through Momentics: (4 Items)

Issues on building QNX 6.6 IFS/EFS image through Momentics  
Dear all,

I'm new to QNX 6.6 and trying to build a x86 image. I installed QNX Momentics IDE on Ubuntu 14.004, and downloaded the 
latest x86 BSP from "http://community.qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.bsp/wiki/X86Bios". 

By following the instruction of the BSP document, I can build a ".bin" image through command-line without Momentics IDE 
and deploy it on a USB flash..

However, I got some problem on building it through IDE
(A) Where is the project related files? After I create a QNX system builder project by import the setting of the x86 BSP
. According to the document "IDE User's Guide_.pdf", there should be a ".project" & "project.bld" file, however I didn't
 find these at all. 

(B) How to add binary? How to create a efs?
For adding binary or create a efs image, I need some icon in the System Builder editor's tool bar, like "Add new binary"
 or "Add New Image", but I didn't see these icons in the tool bar.

(C) IFS is .bin or .raw?
By using the command-line, the image I built is ".bin", but the image I built from Momentics IDE is ".raw". I have no 
idea about how to deploy this image to USB flash or hd.
Attachment: PDF Momentics_IDE_problem.pdf 300.47 KB
Re: Issues on building QNX 6.6 IFS/EFS image through Momentics  
Answers embedded below:
> Dear all,
> 
> I'm new to QNX 6.6 and trying to build a x86 image. I installed QNX Momentics 
> IDE on Ubuntu 14.004, and downloaded the latest x86 BSP from "http://community
> .qnx.com/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.bsp/wiki/X86Bios". 
> 
> By following the instruction of the BSP document, I can build a ".bin" image 
> through command-line without Momentics IDE and deploy it on a USB flash..
> 
> However, I got some problem on building it through IDE
> (A) Where is the project related files? After I create a QNX system builder 
> project by import the setting of the x86 BSP. According to the document "IDE 
> User's Guide_.pdf", there should be a ".project" & "project.bld" file, however
>  I didn't find these at all. 

Unfortunately this pdf refers to features found only in the previous version of QNX System Builder perspective.  The QNX
 System Builder perspective include in Momentics 6.6 is really a graphical front end for the mkifs tool that includes an
 editor for editing the build files.
This issue has been noted and is scheduled for correction in a future documentation release.

> 
> (B) How to add binary? How to create a efs?
> For adding binary or create a efs image, I need some icon in the System 
> Builder editor's tool bar, like "Add new binary" or "Add New Image", but I 
> didn't see these icons in the tool bar.

The icon bar does not exist in the 6.6 version of the QNX System Builder perspective.  Adding binaries, files, libraries
 etc is done by editing the build file, mush the same way as it is done for the command line version of building images.

Creating efs is easiest done from the command line.  You could however also do this by modifying the Makefile but this 
would be somewhat more cumbersome than simply using the command line tools for building efs images.

> 
> (C) IFS is .bin or .raw?
> By using the command-line, the image I built is ".bin", but the image I built 
> from Momentics IDE is ".raw". I have no idea about how to deploy this image to
>  USB flash or hd.

You can deploy the .raw image the same way that you deployed the .bin image built from the command line.  You could if 
you wanted simply rename the .raw file and give it the .bin extension (or more common .ifs extension) for your 
convenience, the image file contents would remain the same.  If you would prefer that the file be built with your 
preferred  file extension, you can edit the project's Makefile to create the image with the extension of your choosing.

Cheers 

- Dave
Thanks for your reply!!!

I have been stuck in this issue for couples of days, the tutorial in the Momentics is also incorrect, hope QNX can 
release the correct document and Momentics as soon as possible. 

I think the best and most applicable way now is building through command.

6.6 version does not have graphical editor in the system builder. You add a binary but typing binary's file name in the 
build file
BSP usually have build file its either called "build" or have ".build" extension.
.project file is there but its invisible by default, you don't really need to look at it. project.bld file won't be 
created in this version.
IDE will call make to build an image it should have same result as calling make on command line
Instead of creating new system builder project you need to use Import BSP Project wizard which will set it all up 
correctly