Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Creating Bootable File System with QNX 6.6: (6 Items)

Creating Bootable File System with QNX 6.6  
There probably is a Duh! answer to this question, but it is not obvious to me.
If I were to download QNX 6.6 Momentics for Windows and install it, and then I wanted to create a QNX 6 (or QNX 4) file 
system that I can boot the QNX 6.6 OS off of.

Assume for a moment that I have no other access to a QNX 6 system, eg. the VMWare download.

How do I do this using just Windows and Momentics?
RE: Creating Bootable File System with QNX 6.6  
I wouldn't  know how.  I would have to use the vmware download.  I guess for arm which uses flash devices it`s a 
different story has one can create the raw image and dump it on the flash device.  But for x86 and the requirement posed
 by the BIOS I`d be stump.

At the moment we use a QNX6 Vmware image and connect the device to it via USB.  Next we format and partition the disk 
and install our custom "distribution" of QNX.  Luckly we will be able to use the same idea with 6.6.  OS wise I don`t 
care for the 6.6 new features, there are so little of them ;-(  But we are in need of C++11 compiler.  

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Mitchell Schoenbrun [mailto:community-noreply@qnx.com] 
Envoyé : Sunday, March 02, 2014 9:35 AM
À : momenticsgs-community
Objet : Creating Bootable File System with QNX 6.6

There probably is a Duh! answer to this question, but it is not obvious to me.
If I were to download QNX 6.6 Momentics for Windows and install it, and then I wanted to create a QNX 6 (or QNX 4) file 
system that I can boot the QNX 6.6 OS off of.

Assume for a moment that I have no other access to a QNX 6 system, eg. the VMWare download.

How do I do this using just Windows and Momentics?

QNX Momentics Getting Started
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post109123
To cancel your subscription to this discussion, please e-mail momenticsgs-community-unsubscribe@community.qnx.com

Re: RE: Creating Bootable File System with QNX 6.6  
So can you please let me know step by step method to create bootable massstorage device ??
Having investigated further, I don't think there is a good way without using a QNX 6.6 system.  
This would create a chicken and egg problem except that QNX has provided a 6.6 VM system.

Once you have installed and started the VM you need to make your media available to the VM.   The easiest way is via a 
USB device.    Fortunately most media,  EIDE, SATA, Compact Flash or SD can be attached this way with an adapter.   
Assuming you have your media visible as a device, the steps are.

1) create a partition using fdisk
2) mount the partition using "mount -e"
3) Initialize the partition using mkqnx6fs
4) create a mount point for the partition using mount
5) create directories using mkdir
6) copy the boot file, qnx utilities, startup scripts and your application to the media using cp
Thank you for the above steps - could you please elaborate a little? After setting up the partitions on the USB mass 
device how did you transfer the primary and secondary boot loaders ipl-diskpc1 and ipl-diskpc2 to the umass? I keep 
getting the error unable to load pc1...

thanks for the help!

figured it out - you just need to point directly to the directory with pc1 and pc2 located in /boot/sys when using the 
dloader utility