Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Neutrino Lite on Dell Optiplex 755: (3 Items)

Neutrino Lite on Dell Optiplex 755  
I downloaded Neutrino Lite to install on a lab of Dell Optiplex 755 machines. Only the disk doesn't boot on the 755. It 
locks up after printing out two lines of .
 If I 'Hit ESC for .altboot' it seems to lock right away.
 I never see the line about boot options.

However I think the CD is ok, as I can boot it in other machines and use it as a 'live CD', for example every thing 
seems to work on an older Dell Optiplex GX520.

Any one have any pointers ?.
Re: Neutrino Lite on Dell Optiplex 755  
It could be an issue with an unsupported chipset of drive configuration. Are you using RAID? If you are, you could try 
installing with RAID disabled. 

I had a quick look at the dell.com site and I couldn't see where they specify motherboard chipsets. Neutrino x86 will 
not necessarily install on the latest hardware.
Re: Neutrino Lite on Dell Optiplex 755  
> It could be an issue with an unsupported chipset of drive configuration. Are 
> you using RAID? If you are, you could try installing with RAID disabled. 

Not using RAID, but by default the BIOS has the controller in 'auto AHCI' mode. Setting it to 'legacy' doesn't seem to 
help.

> I had a quick look at the dell.com site and I couldn't see where they specify 
> motherboard chipsets. Neutrino x86 will not necessarily install on the latest 
> hardware.

Looking at lspci under Linux, it's 'ICH9 family'

82Q35 host bridge
82566DM-2 NIC
82801I USB
82801IR SATA

Presumably since Neutrino locks solid before even scanning for hardware, it doesn't like the host bridge. The BIOS on 
the 755 presumably sets the host bridge up in a way that isn't 'legacy' compatible.

Dell recently release a BIOS update for the 755 that 'improves Linux compatibility', Something to do with '64bit BAR's 
I think. Only bit if the machines had 4GB or more RAM. Mine only have 1GB.