Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Overlay Filesystem: (4 Items)

Overlay Filesystem  
Could someone provide an example on how to use QNX's mount to achieve an overlay filesystem using the "mount -o before 
after" command?

Our QNX image is on a fat32 filesystem containing the boot and image files.  This comes up as read only.  I'd like to 
overlay a writable filesystem (qnx6 for now) on top of this to ease development.  To the extent that a file created in 
the writable space would hide the file in the read-only space and be used in place of it.  For example, to achieve a 
similar result as the (typical Linux mount command using the under/over i.e. “mount -t overlay overlay -olowerdir=/
lower,upperdir=/upper,workdir=/work /merged”.)
Re: Overlay Filesystem  
What is the mediaf or the filesystem?  mmcsd, ahci, other?
I'm using a 16GB SD Card for initial development.  The boot partition is 500M formatted to vfat.  (mkfs.vfat shows Id=83
 and "df -Th" shows /dev/sdb1 is type vfat.)

The filesystem I want to overlay as writable space is qnx6 because I need support for symbolic links.  Not sure if its a
 problem mixing filesystem types for the purpose of doing an overlay.

Here are the commands to create the qnx6 writable partition which I'm want to lay on top of the read-only (vfat) boot 
partition:
  fdisk /dev/hd0 add -t 177 -p 75
  mount -e /dev/hd0
  mkqnx6fs -q /dev/hd0t177
  mount -t qnx6 -o sync=mandatory /dev/hd0t177 /writable_partition
I was able to get what I wanted using this command:

mount -t qnx6 -o sync=mandatory,overalloc /dev/hd0t177 /

Files can be overwritten in the writable space and once deleted we see the read-only files back.  Works for folders too.