Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Transfer File from Windows to QNX 6.5 32-bit: (13 Items)

Transfer File from Windows to QNX 6.5 32-bit  
Hi,

I'm wondering is it possible if i could use Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate as a platform to pick up text files from 
Windows(201.0.0.1) and deposit it into QNX(201.0.0.6) /home directory and vice versa.

if possible, please share. Thx in advance :D
Re: Transfer File from Windows to QNX 6.5 32-bit  
Hello,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "use Visual Studio as a platform". But obviously you intend to exchange files 
between a Windows and a QNX system on a LAN. So in the first place you'll have to provide a way to transport files, e.g 
. by using FTP, SFTP, or SMB (CIFS).

Assuming your client machine is the Windows box, and (by the existence of a /home directory), the QNX system is a PC, 
too, I'd set up a samba server on QNX (available on <http://www.netbsd.org>;), install a SMB share for /home, mount it
 on your windows box, and then use Explorer, command line, or any other tool to copy files to the QNX system.

HTH
Christoph
Thx Christoph.

hahas but I am trying to exchange files at runtime, mainly a Web Application with a button control click event, but i've
 no idea how to communicate/connect with QNX using C#.
Hi,

well - of course you exchange files at runtime - what I intended to show was a way to do so, i. e., a way to communicate
 / connect. Probably I could understand your problem better if you provide some more information. Does anyone else?

Regards,
Christoph
The checklist is as follows:

1) [Windows] Create a simple Web Application using Visual Studio C# (Done)
2) [Windows] Publish Web Application on computer A (201.0.0.1) using IIS Manager. (Done)
3) [Windows] Setup a VM using VMWorkStation on another computer (201.0.0.6)  and Bootup QNX 6.5 inside the VM (Done)
4) [QNX] Configure network setting, giving static ip address 201.0.0.9 (Done)
5) [Windows]  Add a button control click event in the Web Application to write data into "fileA" located @ QNX /home 
directory. (Pending)

currently stuck at Step 5 :'(

Hi,

well - of course you exchange files at runtime - what I intended to show was a way to do so, i. e., a way to communicate

/ connect. Probably I could understand your problem better if you provide some more information. Does anyone else?

Regards,
Christoph
Ok so you need to run ftp server or ssh server on qnx box, then you can upload your files using these protocols
> Ok so you need to run ftp server or ssh server on qnx box, then you can upload
>  your files using these protocols

... or a samba share, n'est-ce pas?
Christoph
hahas thx guys, but can spoon feed alittle more?
i've no idea how/where to start about :'(
Hi,

sorry, I'm not much into programming C#. But I assume you create some button and associate some OnButtonPressed() method
. In this method, you may want to create a file somewhere, write some data to it, and close it. You may do this by using
 an FTP client API. I remember I've seen some sample code for C++ in Visual Studio help before, so there must be a C# 
interface, too.

If you use FTP, you'll have to set up an FTP server on QNX. This is no big deal, please refer to the QNX documentation 
for ftpd.

As an alternative, you may want to use Windows' generic file open, write, and close mechanisms. In this case, you may 
want to have your QNX file system acessible via UNC paths, or via a Windows pseudo drive letter. You can accomplish this
 by setting up smbd on your QNX platform. Which is probably a little more work to do than installing ftpd.

I don't think Visual Studio provides a SSH API.

And after all, you also may write an own TCP or what-else server to run on QNX, capable of creating files, and use TCP 
or what-else client functions to control it remotely from your C# code.

Christoph
Thx for all your help <3

I've tried compiling SAMBA-2.0.7 on QNX with reference to this website: http://pcquest.ciol.com/content/windows/
101030105.asp

i tried :
/usr/local/samba/bin/testparm /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
and the syntax seem to be fine.

i tried:
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L localhost

The results shows:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]
Share name                    Type                   Comment
share                              Disk 
IPCS$                             IPC                      IPC Service (Samba 2.0.7)

which seems to be fine as well... but when i try:
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L server1

The results shows:
Anomymous login Successful
Error returning browse list: ERRDOS -ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

* i press "ENTER" for Password prompt.

Need Help :(
Hi,

forget about nmbd and smbclient. You need to access the SMB share from your Windows box. Open an explorer and enter \\
201.0.0.6 in the address bar. If smbd is running and smb.conf defines a valid share, you should see its name as a folder
 there. You'll probably need a user name and password to connect to it.

Christoph
hahas i did tried that but it says,
"\\201.0.0.9 is not accessible. You migght not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator 
of this server to find out if you have access permission.
A remote procedure call (RPC)  protocol error occured."

I can ping 201.0.0.9(QNX) from 201.0.0.1(Windows) and vice versa.

Any idea how to "give" permission to Windows such that it can access QNX folder ?

hi, i did have some progress over samba server

I tried "\\201.0.0.9\myShare" at my windwos explorer and it prompted the Windwos Security: Enter Network Password for 
201.0.0.9, so i'm pretty sure that the "myShare" from QNX is shared successfully :D

but i've no idea where to get the username/password to input :(