Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - "use pipe" option in application profiler fails with "cannot create pipe": (5 Items)

"use pipe" option in application profiler fails with "cannot create pipe"  
Hello everyone,

I'm currently profiling some QNX applications with function instrumentation using the Momentics IDE. So far I've been 
successful using the option to create a ptrace file on the target and transfer it automatically with the "upload while 
running" option in the application profiler dialog.

Since my ptrace file is getting large quickly, and I'm a bit limited on memory, I would prefer to avoid the creation of 
the ptrace file on the target. I understand that this can be done using the "use pipe" option. However, when I try it, I
 always get an error message: "Error starting profiler service: cannot create pipe".

The documentation says:

"Create a pipe file on the target machine instead of a regular trace file. To use this option, the pipe daemon must be 
running on the target machine, and the file can only be created on the real filesystem (i.e. not /dev/shmem)."

I think I've done everything correctly:
1) I selected a target file name for the pipe within a "real" filesystem (which is read/write accessible)
2) pipe is running as root
3) qconn is running as root

My target is x86 with QNX 6.4.1. My Momentics version is 4.6.1.

Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Lorenz
Re: "use pipe" option in application profiler fails with "cannot create pipe"  
Can you test it from command line? Type

mkfifo /tmp/mypipe

(same file path as specifed in App Profiler options)

Lorenz Witte wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm currently profiling some QNX applications with function instrumentation using the Momentics IDE. So far I've been 
successful using the option to create a ptrace file on the target and transfer it automatically with the "upload while 
running" option in the application profiler dialog.
>
> Since my ptrace file is getting large quickly, and I'm a bit limited on memory, I would prefer to avoid the creation 
of the ptrace file on the target. I understand that this can be done using the "use pipe" option. However, when I try it
, I always get an error message: "Error starting profiler service: cannot create pipe".
>
> The documentation says:
>
> "Create a pipe file on the target machine instead of a regular trace file. To use this option, the pipe daemon must be
 running on the target machine, and the file can only be created on the real filesystem (i.e. not /dev/shmem)."
>
> I think I've done everything correctly:
> 1) I selected a target file name for the pipe within a "real" filesystem (which is read/write accessible)
> 2) pipe is running as root
> 3) qconn is running as root
>
> My target is x86 with QNX 6.4.1. My Momentics version is 4.6.1.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
> Lorenz
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> QNX Momentics Community Support
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post58173
>
>   
Interesting.....

# mkfifo /opt/mypipe
  /opt/mypipe: Function not implemented

I can - however - create a pipe from within a c++ application, or at least I remember doing so some weeks ago.
That is filesystem reporting I think... What is /opt?

Lorenz Witte wrote:
> Interesting.....
>
>   # mkfifo /opt/mypipe
>   /opt/mypipe: Function not implemented
>
> I can - however - create a pipe from within a c++ application, or at least I remember doing so some weeks ago.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> QNX Momentics Community Support
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post58179
>
>   
/opt is a folder in a FAT16 filesystem mounted as root directory. And this appears to be the problem, I cannot create 
pipes there!

I also have a hard disk partition with a qnx6 filesystem. I can successfully create a pipe there using mkfifo. It also 
works with momentics now.

Many thanks for your help, you saved my day!
Lorenz