Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - QNX 4.25 does not see the CD drive: (4 Items)

QNX 4.25 does not see the CD drive  
We have an Intel board DG33FB motherboard. We have a CD drive connected to the single IDE connector. When we boot with 
the May 2001 installation CD, the BIOS boots from the CD, and the installation program starts. However, the autoscan 
fails to find the CD drive, and the installation cannot proceed. It does seem to see the EIDE controller, however. This 
was tried with, and without, a hard drive attached, with the same results.

Any suggestions would be appreciate.

Thanks,

Kevin
Re: QNX 4.25 does not see the CD drive  
Try finding an older CD drive somewhere (an older PC, one replaced by a newer faster one, etc.).  4.25 does not 
recognize some of the newer CD drives.
Turns out that the answer was to use the latest version of Fsys.atapi, downloaded from the QNX download site. At the 
point where the autodetect fails during the installation, there's an "Add" button available. It lets you add a driver 
from a floppy, in this case, the new Fsys.atapi. The driver is is installed on the RAM disk, and runs, and detects the 
hard drive as well as the CD drive.

The installation program also installs this driver into the boot image when it does the installation, a nice bonus. Also
, the new driver sees almost all of the hard drive, in this case it seems to see 700gb of a 750gb hard drive, rather 
than the 128gb that the old version was limited to.

This only works on this motherboard, an Intel, if the BIOS has the drive controller set to "Native" mode, and the SATA 
configuration to be IDE. There was a note in the motherboard box that said that this was necessary for OSs other than 
Windows; I didn't read the note, of course, so I had to find out the hard way.

I am curious; we still have a number of 4.24 systems out in the field. Would this driver work under 4.24?
Hi Kevin,

Just a quick question for you, I'm in a similar situation.

Do you know if all the QNX Bootable floppies have this "add" button when the hard disk controller isn't detected? as the
 one I have only displays a list of controllers and to select one.

I got around this by putting the Fsys.atapi onto the bootable floppy and installed QNX fine, but the first install 
floppy of 5 just puts over the default controllers onto the hard drive making QNX unbootable again.

Wondering if you have any ideas?

Cheers