Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - What adjustments BIOS, Proc32 and etc, for effective work QNX 4.25 on the processor with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology should be?: (10 Items)

What adjustments BIOS, Proc32 and etc, for effective work QNX 4.25 on the processor with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology should be?  
Now the system informs, that frequency of the processor 420 MHz.
Re: What adjustments BIOS, Proc32 and etc, for effective work QNX 4.25 on the processor with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology should be?  
> Now the system informs, that frequency of the processor 420 MHz.

Hi Gennadiy,

Can You please try to be more detailed regarding Your hw ?

show_pci -vvv
sin 
sin in
sin ver

BIOS version and a web link to the specs would be good.

Anyhow, what comes in my mind  is:

Did you tried to disable hyperthr , PNP OS, usb-Emulation in Your BIOS, if possible ?

Donno but, that sin info reports 420MHz wrongly could be a pure sin problem .

Are you using QNX425 Patch G  ?

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jeevan

Re: What adjustments BIOS, Proc32 and etc, for effective work QNX 4.25 on the processor with Intel Hyper-Threading Technology should be?  
I wrote:
> Donno but, that sin info reports 420MHz wrongly could be a pure sin problem .
> 
> Are you using QNX425 Patch G  ?
> 
> Hope this helps.
> Regards,
> Jeevan

The Proc425Q release notes 
http://www.qnx.com/developers/articles/rel_1482_1.html#FIXTHIS
say :
[snip]
modified information returned to sin info, so that the cosmetic benchmark speed reported maxes out, rather than wrapping
 and showing a 'slow' speed 
[snap]

Jeevan

Incorrect the information on frequency gives Proc32 at loading OS. Manipulations from a BIOS have not given effect.

Yours faithfully
Gennadiy ranchenko
Attachment: Text Info.gz 2.94 KB
Post Deleted
> Incorrect the information on frequency gives Proc32 at loading OS. 
> Manipulations from a BIOS have not given effect.
> 
> Yours faithfully
> Gennadiy ranchenko

Please try attached /boot/sys/boot.

Kind Regards,
Jeevan
Attachment: Compressed file boot.zip 11.02 KB
QNX4 can experience problems when running on faster CPUs as a result of CPU speed being calculated incorrectly. If "sin 
in" reports an incorrect value your system may be affected and I recommend that you apply  "/boot/sys/boot for QNX® 4.
25 Patch (Patch ID 515)" - it is not on our Download site, so ask your sales or support representative.

Details:
CPU speed is calculated by "boot" utility at startup - "boot" is usually a first line in boot image. On faster CPUs (~1.
8GHz and higher) CPU speed may be  calculated incorrectly. Some drivers (not all) use this value to calculate timeouts 
and will experience problems, e.g. Fsys.atapi very slow to start-up. 
This problem is not directly related to Hyper-Threading.
> QNX4 can experience problems when running on faster CPUs as a result of CPU 
> speed being calculated incorrectly. If "sin in" reports an incorrect value 
> your system may be affected and I recommend that you apply  "/boot/sys/boot 
> for QNX® 4.25 Patch (Patch ID 515)" - it is not on our Download site, so ask 
> your sales or support representative.
> 
> Details:
> CPU speed is calculated by "boot" utility at startup - "boot" is usually a 
> first line in boot image. On faster CPUs (~1.8GHz and higher) CPU speed may be
>   calculated incorrectly. Some drivers (not all) use this value to calculate 
> timeouts and will experience problems, e.g. Fsys.atapi very slow to start-up. 
> 
> This problem is not directly related to Hyper-Threading.

Thank You Alexander. 

The boot.zip what I attached ito  my last post is exactly Patch 515.
So Gennadiy can just go ahead ,copy it to /boot/sys/ rebuild his bootimage and should be fine.

And no worries, I got approval for posting it there.
Regards,
Jeevan

Re: Qnx 4.23 on a Pentium 4 system?  
I using QNX4.23A. I did a fresh install on a brand new system, Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 40GB hard drive (ah, the joy 
of a 12 year old floppy disk). The QNX4 partition is 8GB with the rest of the hard drive unformatted. 

The program I'm using forks multiple processes and requires a total of 12MB. 'sin info' informs me that i have only 8.
5Mb free out of 16.3Mb (total memory) which are obviously incorrect numbers, the processor speed number in 'sin info' is
 also half that of a P3 550Mhz machine. Needless to say the program i'm running spits out a EAGAIN error when it tries 
to create all the processes. 

I changed the build file to set a max of 1000 processes (from the default of 500) and checked 'fsysinfo' which showed 
plenty of free heap memory, inodes, files etc. So I'm sure that's not the issue. Just to see if there was any other 
crazy software issue, i plugged the hard drive into a Pentium 3 system with 256Mb RAM and the software worked fine. 

Will the build file posted in this thread work on Qnx 4.23A? Is there any other way to make Qnx 4.23A recognize the 
correct processor speed and RAM? Any other thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.

-DB
Re: Qnx 4.23 on a Pentium 4 system?  
The problem was fixed with Qnx 4.25 Patch posted in this thread. The processor speed still shows up incorrect during the
 boot script but the system RAM is now recognized correctly. 'sin info' shows the full "correct" system memory available