Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - licensing: Page 1 of 2 (18 Items)

licensing  
I'm installing QNX4 on a machine with no floppy drive. I entered the license number
manually when prompted to do so. The problem now is : how do I run the license
utility?
On a machine with a floppy I would run:
license /etc/licenses /fd0  (this copies licenses to a floppy)
then, to copy licenses from floppy to machine:
license /fd0

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paul L.
Re: licensing  
You can edit the /.licenses file and add licenses manually.

On 10-02-18 11:33 AM, "Paul Lemieux" <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:

> I'm installing QNX4 on a machine with no floppy drive. I entered the license
> number
> manually when prompted to do so. The problem now is : how do I run the license
> utility?
> On a machine with a floppy I would run:
> license /etc/licenses /fd0  (this copies licenses to a floppy)
> then, to copy licenses from floppy to machine:
> license /fd0
> 
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Paul L.
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 
> QNX4 Community Support
> http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post47680
> 
<FONT face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=2><DIV>Thanks for the quick reply. The problem 
is that /etc/licenses is a directory and is asking me for a filename when I exit vedit. Not sure how to get</DIV><DIV>
around this. Can you help me out?</DIV><DIV>thanks & regards,</DIV><DIV><BR> </DIV><DIV>Paul Lemieux<BR>Control Systems 
Technologist<BR>AbitibiBowater<BR>Iroquois Falls Division<BR>1 Park Street<BR>Iroquois Falls, ON, Canada P0K 1E0<BR>
(705)-258-3931 ext.4026<BR><DIV><BR></DIV><FONT color=#990099>-----Hugh Brown <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote: -----<
BR><BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid
; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">To: qnx4-community <post47681@community.qnx.com><BR>From: Hugh Brown <community-noreply@qnx.com><BR
>Date: 02/18/2010 11:35AM<BR>Subject: Re: licensing<BR><BR><FONT face="Default Monospace,Courier New,Courier,monospace" 
size=2>You can edit the /.licenses file and add licenses manually.<BR><BR><BR><BR>On 10-02-18 11:33 AM, "Paul Lemieux" <
community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote:<BR><BR>> I'm installing QNX4 on a machine with no floppy drive. I entered the license<
BR>> number<BR>> manually when prompted to do so. The problem now is : how do I run the license<BR>> utility?<BR>> On a 
machine with a floppy I would run:<BR>> license /etc/licenses /fd0  (this copies licenses to a floppy)<BR>> then, to 
copy licenses from floppy to machine:<BR>> license /fd0<BR>> <BR>> any help would be greatly appreciated.<BR>> Paul L.<
BR>> <BR>> <BR>> <BR>> _______________________________________________<BR>> <BR>> QNX4 Community Support<BR>> <A href="
http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post47680" target=blank>http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post47680</A><BR>>; <BR><BR><BR>
<BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR><BR>QNX4 Community Support<BR><A href="http://community.qnx.
com/sf/go/post47681" target=blank>http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post47681</A><BR><BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></DIV></
FONT>;
Hi Paul,

Is there a USB port available ?

If yes, then you can use Pendrive with QNX4 filesystem to transfer old-style licenses (# license source destination).

Regards,
Jacek 

<FONT face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=2><DIV>Thanks for the reply. Yes there is a USB 
port available. Sorry but I don't know what you mean by Pendrive.</DIV><DIV>regards,</DIV><DIV>Paul</DIV><DIV><BR> </DIV
><DIV>Paul Lemieux<BR>Control Systems Technologist<BR>AbitibiBowater<BR>Iroquois Falls Division<BR>1 Park Street<BR>
Iroquois Falls, ON, Canada P0K 1E0<BR>(705)-258-3931 ext.4026<BR><DIV><BR></DIV><FONT color=#990099>-----Jacek Rudnicki 
<community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote: -----<BR><BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-
LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">To: qnx4-community <post48255@community.qnx.com><BR>From: 
Jacek Rudnicki <community-noreply@qnx.com><BR>Date: 02/25/2010 05:39AM<BR>Subject: Re: licensing<BR><BR><FONT face="
Default Monospace,Courier New,Courier,monospace" size=2>Hi Paul,<BR><BR>Is there a USB port available ?<BR><BR>If yes, 
then you can use Pendrive with QNX4 filesystem to transfer old-style licenses (# license source destination).<BR><BR>
Regards,<BR>Jacek <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR><BR>QNX4 Community 
Support<BR><A href="http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post48255" target=blank>http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post48255</A><
BR><BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></DIV></FONT>;
Hi,

Pendrive is a USB Stick.
You can also use USB HDD or even External USB Floppy Drive, everything what is supported by the Fsys.umass driver.

Regards,
Jacek
Paul !

1.When you entered the license number correctly 
   and pushed button "Add/F5" - QNX4 automatically adds your license into file
    /.licenses  on installing partition and runs utility license
2.After that you can push "Continue" -> "Done" and "Start/F2" for installing

> I'm installing QNX4 on a machine with no floppy drive. I entered the license 
> number
> manually when prompted to do so. The problem now is : how do I run the license
> 
> utility?
> On a machine with a floppy I would run:
> license /etc/licenses /fd0  (this copies licenses to a floppy)
> then, to copy licenses from floppy to machine:
> license /fd0
> 
> any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Paul L.

Attachment: Image qnx4.jpg 87.05 KB
<FONT face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=2><DIV>Thank you for your reply, here is my 
issue: </DIV><DIV>  </DIV><DIV>I'm installing qnx4 & qnx windows on a machine with no floppy drive. It is going to be 
node 11 on an existing qnx4 network. When I install qnx4 from the installation cd it prompts me for the license numbers.
 If I type in the license numbers such as qnx0063806n001 or winrt0132570n001 which are the old type of license found in 
/etc/licenses, it will not allow me</DIV><DIV>to "Add/F5". If I put in the license number from another machine, such as 
qnx.00511520-xxxx which is the new type of license, it allows me to "Add/F5" but this is a 1 node </DIV><DIV>license key
. Any help you can give me with this would be greatly appreciated. <BR></DIV><DIV>Paul Lemieux <BR>Control Systems 
Technologist <BR>AbitibiBowater <BR>Iroquois Falls Division <BR>1 Park Street <BR>Iroquois Falls, ON, Canada P0K 1E0 <BR
>(705)-258-3931 ext.4026 <BR><DIV><BR></DIV><FONT color=#990099>-----Alex Burk <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote: ----- 
<BR><BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px 
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">To: qnx4-community <post48474@community.qnx.com> <BR>From: Alex Burk <community-noreply@qnx.
com> <BR>Date: 02/27/2010 06:00PM <BR>Subject: Re: licensing <BR><BR><FONT face="Default Monospace,Courier New,Courier,
monospace" size=2>Paul ! <BR><BR>1.When you entered the license number correctly <BR>   and pushed button "Add/F5" - 
QNX4 automatically adds your license into file <BR>    /.licenses  on installing partition and runs utility license <BR>
2.After that you can push "Continue" -> "Done" and "Start/F2" for installing <BR><BR><BR>> I'm installing QNX4 on a 
machine with no floppy drive. I entered the license <BR>> number <BR>> manually when prompted to do so. The problem now 
is : how do I run the license <BR>> <BR>> utility? <BR>> On a machine with a floppy I would run: <BR>> license /etc/
licenses /fd0  (this copies licenses to a floppy) <BR>> then, to copy licenses from floppy to machine: <BR>> license /
fd0 <BR>> <BR>> any help would be greatly appreciated. <BR>> Paul L. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
_______________________________________________ <BR><BR>QNX4 Community Support <BR><A href="http://community.qnx.com/sf/
go/post48474" target=blank>http://community.qnx.com/sf/go/post48474 </A><BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>[attachment "
qnx4.jpg" removed by Paul Lemieux/IF/CSC] <BR></DIV></FONT>
Hi Paul,

>I'm installing qnx4 & qnx windows on a machine with no floppy drive.
>It is going to be node 11 on an existing qnx4 network.
>When I install qnx4 from the installation cd it prompts me for the license numbers.

>If I type in the license numbers such as qnx0063806n001 or winrt0132570n001
>which are the old type of license found in /etc/licenses, it will not allow me to "Add/F5".

The only new-style licenses can be typed during installation.
A old-style licenses must be transfered via "license" command. 
You can tranfer them directly onto floppy drive or to specific path/directory which can be located on different media 
like USB Stick, USB HDD, etc. ...

>If I put in the license number from another machine, such as 
>qnx.00511520-xxxx which is the new type of license, it allows
 >me to "Add/F5" but this is a 1 node license key.

To solve your problem  I suggest to use the latest QNX4 Installation CD (November 2009).

Here are some necessary steps: 
1) install QNX4 O/S only (use new-style license just to pass installation process completely),

2) meantime on the another machine transfer licenses onto floppy drive or USB Stick,... 

Floppy method:
# license /etc/licenses/* /dev/fd0

USB Stick method is more complicated. The USB stack "io-usb" manager and "Fsys.umass" driver will be necessary. In short
 you will need to create QNX4 partition, initialize filesystem on USB Stick and mount it. Finally transfer licenses to 
mount directory (i.e. usb_stick):
# license /etc/licenses/* /usb_stick

3) after installation boot from HDD drive,

4) start io-usb and Fsys.umass driver,

4a) Floppy method 
      external USB floppy drive should be detected as /dev/fd0, so type
      # license
      or
      # license /dev/fd0

4b) USB Stick method
      mount your device (i.e. as /usb_stick) and type
      # license /usb_stick/* /etc/licenses

5) refresh licenses
# license -r

check if a new licenses was added
# licinfo -a

6) now having license for qnx windows install this package from CD
# /cd/bin/phinstall

After everything don't forget to remove the /.license file with "temporary" license key.

Good luck,
Jacek
<FONT face="Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" size=2><DIV>Thank you very much for your reply. I am 
trying the usb floppy option. I have the December 2009 version of qnx4 as well as the latest usb driver but I can only 
get the usb stick to operate as a dos device & no luck with floppy. Do you have any experience with these usb drivers?</
DIV><DIV>thanks,<BR></DIV><DIV>Paul Lemieux<BR>Control Systems Technologist<BR>AbitibiBowater<BR>Iroquois Falls Division
<BR>1 Park Street<BR>Iroquois Falls, ON, Canada P0K 1E0<BR>(705)-258-3931 ext.4026<BR><DIV><BR></DIV><FONT color=#990099
>-----Jacek Rudnicki <community-noreply@qnx.com> wrote: -----<BR><BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; 
PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">To: qnx4-community <post48775@
community.qnx.com><BR>From: Jacek Rudnicki <community-noreply@qnx.com><BR>Date: 03/04/2010 08:43AM<BR>Subject: Re: 
licensing<BR><BR><FONT face="Default Monospace,Courier New,Courier,monospace" size=2>Hi Paul,<BR><BR>>I'm installing 
qnx4 & qnx windows on a machine with no floppy drive.<BR>>It is going to be node 11 on an existing qnx4 network.<BR>>
When I install qnx4 from the installation cd it prompts me for the license numbers.<BR><BR>>If I type in the license 
numbers such as qnx0063806n001 or winrt0132570n001<BR>>which are the old type of license found in /etc/licenses, it will
 not allow me to "Add/F5".<BR><BR>The only new-style licenses can be typed during installation.<BR>A old-style licenses 
must be transfered via "license" command. <BR>You can tranfer them directly onto floppy drive or to specific path/
directory which can be located on different media like USB Stick, USB HDD, etc. ...<BR><BR>>If I put in the license 
number from another machine, such as <BR>>qnx.00511520-xxxx which is the new type of license, it allows<BR> >me to "Add/
F5" but this is a 1 node license key.<BR><BR>To solve your problem  I suggest to use the latest QNX4 Installation CD 
(November 2009).<BR><BR>Here are some necessary steps: <BR>1) install QNX4 O/S only (use new-style license just to pass 
installation process completely),<BR><BR>2) meantime on the another machine transfer licenses onto floppy drive or USB 
Stick,... <BR><BR>Floppy method:<BR># license /etc/licenses/* /dev/fd0<BR><BR>USB Stick method is more complicated. The 
USB stack "io-usb" manager and "Fsys.umass" driver will be necessary. In short you will need to create QNX4 partition, 
initialize filesystem on USB Stick and mount it. Finally transfer licenses to mount directory (i.e. usb_stick):<BR># 
license /etc/licenses/* /usb_stick<BR><BR>3) after installation boot from HDD drive,<BR><BR>4) start io-usb and Fsys.
umass driver,<BR><BR>4a) Floppy method <BR>      external USB floppy drive should be detected as /dev/fd0, so type<BR>  
    # license<BR>      or<BR>      # license /dev/fd0<BR><BR>4b) USB Stick method<BR>      mount your device (i.e. as /
usb_stick) and type<BR>      # license /usb_stick/* /etc/licenses<BR><BR>5) refresh licenses<BR># license -r<BR> <BR>
check if a new licenses was added<BR># licinfo -a<BR><BR>6) now having license for qnx windows install this package from
 CD<BR># /cd/bin/phinstall<BR><BR>After everything don't forget to remove the /.license file with "temporary" license...