Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - ERROR : QNX SDP6.4.1 : Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: run: (8 Items)

ERROR : QNX SDP6.4.1 : Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: run  
good evening:

we have purchased a beautiful box set of QNX SDP 6.4.1 and would like to install it on Linux as well as on Widnows. it 
contains the DVD that holds the installers for all supported platforms.

the Windows installer works very well and installs QNX SDP correctly on Windows 7.

however, when i copied the Linux installer on to Ubuntu, i get an odd Java error. pls see detailed error log below.
[...]
Running InstallShield Wizard...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: run
[...]

any ideas why we use Java for installation and then get all these ridiculous errors?
8-) it is illogical.

usually, on Unix / Linux, you only need a simple program that extracts individual files from a compressed package and 
that copies these files into the appropriate location. why use Java for something like that? even a simple shell script 
will set any required environment variables.

the same error occurs on Ubuntu (java 1.5) and on SUSE Linux (java 1.6).

good night,

Aaron

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gj-suse91:/home/aaron> ./qnxsdp-6.4.1-200905201802-linux.bin
InstallShield Wizard

Initializing InstallShield Wizard...

Preparing Java(tm) Virtual Machine...
Running InstallShield Wizard...
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: run

--
{ Alan Turing, Fritz Gerlich, Robert Oppenhimer, how Zapruder, Rodney King? }

Attachment: Image ubuntu_qnx641_install_error.png 39.32 KB
Re: ERROR : QNX SDP6.4.1 : Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: run  
Hi Aaron,

What version of Ubuntu and Suse are you using?  Are these 64 or 32 bit systems?

The installer is setup to use Sun JVM 1.5.0 which is bundled in.  It looks like java 1.6 which is in the PATH being 
picked up and used by the installer.  That might be the issue.

Try the following workaround to extract java from the installer, and then use it to launch the installer:

mkdir tmp-java
cd tmp-java
../qnxsdp-6.4.1-200905201802-linux.bin -is:extract
./linux-sun-1.5.0.bin
bin/java -cp qnx_linux_setup.jar run

Hope this helps,

Natalia
Re: ERROR : QNX SDP6.4.1 : Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: run  
Aaron,

Could you try the following (note, the last command is different from the original instructions):

mkdir tmp-java
cd tmp-java
../qnxsdp-6.4.1-200905201802-linux.bin -is:extract
./linux-sun-1.5.0.bin
bin/java -jar qnx_linux_setup.jar

It is a different way to launch the installer.  
If you're still getting the same error, please attach the screen shot of the terminal where you're executing these 
commands.

Natalia
Hello Aaron,

could you tell me which version of Ubuntu you are running? I am currently running a 8.04LTS (64Bit) and had no problems 
installing the IDE apart from making sure that I am root and to call the installation script (.bin) manually. 

On a side note I was using sudo and did not log in as root, which may explain some things too. 'su -' changes into the 
complete root environment, which also means that the standard environment variobles, especially PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 are set to the respective single-user/maintenance values.

I also was not running the script from the CD but copied it from the CD into my home directory. Apparently the gvfs is a
 little tricky in those things.

The error message itself tells us that the VM cannot find the installer classes, which is slightly confusing but not 
unseen. Furthermore the installer looks for an installed VM but seems to use the internal one nonetheless.

Regards and greetings,

Bjoern Weber

Technical Account Manager / R&D
-- QNX Software Systems GmbH & Co. KG Tel: +49 (511) 94091-450 Am Listholze 76 Fax: +49 (511) 94091-199 30177 Hannover 
Germany http://www.qnx.com
-- QNX Software Systems GmbH & Co. KG Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsbad - Registergericht: Mannheim HRA 361207 
Komplementaerin: QNX Software Systems Management GmbH Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hannover - Registergericht: Hannover 
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dr. Tim Bast - Norbert Struck – Michael Michalyshyn - Edwin Summers 
good evening Bjoern, Natalia, Sonke:

i was ill Mon & Tue with (not swine) flu.

On Tue 8 Sep 2009 04:17 EDT, support@qnx.com wrote:

> could you tell me which version of Ubuntu you are running? I am
> currently running a 8.04LTS (64Bit) and had no problems installing
> the IDE apart from making sure that I am root and to call the
> installation script (.bin) manually

i have updated the ticket after i tried out Natalia's instructions.

after unpacking the package using -is:extract, i dont find any
QNX641 installer JAR.

cheers!

Aaron
-- 
{
  Orient Express trains
  http://www.orient-express.com/collection/trains/trains.jsp
}
good morning Sonke, Bjoern, Natalia:

i apologize, but i had not copied the QNX Linux installer JAR into the 
directory that contained the BIN.

i will try this again and let you know how it goes.

Bjoern, i am amazed at the quickness of your response. thank you.

have a good day,

Aaron
--
{ Orient Express trains http://www.orient-express.com/collection/trains/trains.jsp }
IMPORTANT UPDATE
i didnt realize that you need 2 files for the install, the BIN and the JAR. i had not copied the JAR and so i erred and 
got the CRYPTIC Java error message that left me more confused.

i will retry the install with the required JAR and let you know how it goes.

Aaron
hello:

i installed QNX641 on openSUSE and it works. so, the only reason it didnt work before is because i has copied only the 
SDP bin file and not the setup JAR.

you need both qnx_linux_setup.jar  qnxsdp-6.4.1-200905201802-linux.bin in the same directory when you start the install.

cheerios!

Aaron