Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Scheduling jitter for different frequencies: (3 Items)

Scheduling jitter for different frequencies  
Hi!
Recently I implemented QNX Neutrino RTOS on Zynq-7000 platform (ARM A9) and measured scheduling jitter for different 
task frequencies with no CPU load.
In my test I wait in MsgReceive function for pulse generated by timer. Then I read high frequency clock from FPGA 
(100MHz).
I measured scheduling jitter for 10Hz, 100Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz and 100kHz tasks and got strange results. For short period 
task I got (-300,+300) nanoseconds jitter, but for longer periods I got following:

- 1kHz task had (+600, +1300) nanoseconds jitter
 - 100Hz task had (+8, +12) microseconds(!) jitter
 - 10Hz task had (+69,+71) microseconds jitter

Jitter not only grow bigger for longer period tasks, but also it was always greater than zero. I didnt expect such 
differencies. Could anyone provide some explanation of such behaviour? Might it be explained by POSIX standard, that 
allows timers to expire not prematurely but with overhead? Why did it become more visible for short period tasks?
Re: Scheduling jitter for different frequencies  
Edit in last sentence:
Why did it become more visible for *long* period tasks?
Re: Scheduling jitter for different frequencies  
Hi,
which QNX version are you using? QNX 6.6, or maybe QNX 7? In QNX 7, there are tolerant timers, make sure this is not in 
use.

What tick size is your system running at? Call ClockPeriod to find the real value. Make sure that your timer frequency 
is an integer multiple of that value, otherwise strange things can happen. This implies that setting the timer period 
below the ticksize will give you a timer runnint *at* the tick size.

It is true, because of POSIX you will end up always with a delayed wake-up, never earlier.

You could also play around with calling clock_gettime() then calculate and set the timer with an absolute expiry time. 
Maybe CLOCK_MONOTONIC is a better choice.

You could also play around with the priority of the pulse event of the timer. If you set it to 255, does this alter the 
behaviour?

Regards,
Albrecht