Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - cdrecord on QNX 6.3.0 SP1 works, but fails with SP3 : (4 Items)

cdrecord on QNX 6.3.0 SP1 works, but fails with SP3  
Posted on Momentics support forum before, but no response, so trying here - sorry for crossposting.

This is about runtime kits QNX 6.3.0 SP1 and SP3.
I know it's a bit old, but that's what we have.

On a computer with SATA CD-RW, cdrecord under SP1 works fine. However it fails on that same computer under 6.3.0 SP3 
with several "cdrecord: no such file or directory. xxx: scsi sendcmd: fatal error" (with xxx = "write_g1", "test unit 
ready", "flush cache", "close track/session", "prevent/allow medium removal".

Both is after an installation of a fresh Runtime Kit CD and the installation of cdrtools-201beta-bin-qnx.tgz downloaded 
from QNX.com.

I've just tried with an IDE drive in the same computer with SP3 instead, in this case it works fine. However we need to 
go SATA (this is for a production machine, and IDE drives are soon reaching end of life).

Any ideas about what I could do to make cdrecord work with SATA drives under 6.3.0 SP3?

Thanks for reading
Bernhard

Re: cdrecord on QNX 6.3.0 SP1 works, but fails with SP3  
Have you verified which devb driver is running? With SP2 or SP3, QNX introduced a new powerful devb driver, devb-ahci. 
Before that, SATA controllers would be accessed in compatibility mode using devb-eide. Check if devb-ahci is running and
 if it does, try devb-eide instead. It will result in less good performance but may solve your cdrecord issue.

Good luck,

- Malte

> Posted on Momentics support forum before, but no response, so trying here - 
> sorry for crossposting.
> 
> This is about runtime kits QNX 6.3.0 SP1 and SP3.
> I know it's a bit old, but that's what we have.
> 
> On a computer with SATA CD-RW, cdrecord under SP1 works fine. However it fails
>  on that same computer under 6.3.0 SP3 with several "cdrecord: no such file or
>  directory. xxx: scsi sendcmd: fatal error" (with xxx = "write_g1", "test unit
>  ready", "flush cache", "close track/session", "prevent/allow medium removal".
> 
> 
> Both is after an installation of a fresh Runtime Kit CD and the installation 
> of cdrtools-201beta-bin-qnx.tgz downloaded from QNX.com.
> 
> I've just tried with an IDE drive in the same computer with SP3 instead, in 
> this case it works fine. However we need to go SATA (this is for a production 
> machine, and IDE drives are soon reaching end of life).
> 
> Any ideas about what I could do to make cdrecord work with SATA drives under 6
> .3.0 SP3?
> 
> 
> Thanks for reading
> Bernhard
> 

Thanks for the response, Malte. Much appreciated!

I did several tests today investigating the problem.
The process list says devb-eide is running, devb-ahci is not.
Tested various settings in the BIOS regarding the SATA setup, nothing worked.

Unfortunately this means, the problem remains unresolved.

Regards,
Bernhard
> Unfortunately this means, the problem remains unresolved.

That's bad. Well, now there are three possibilities.

1) Maybe some change between SP1 and SP3 introduced some unintended/unwanted behaviour that leads to this problem. It 
might have been (again, coincidentally) resolved in a later version, so you could try 6.5 / 6.5 SP1 and see if the 
problem persists. If it's gone, you could move to this new version.

2) You could stay with SP1, and take a few components from SP3 that you require. You need to look at dependencies of 
course, but because QNX is very modular, often you can update one component and leave the others untouched.

3) You could get in contact with your QNX Sales rep. He can offer you a solution, either via a Priority Support contract
, or a Custom Engineering contract.

Regards,

- Malte