Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - devc-serusb and FTDI: (1 Item)

devc-serusb and FTDI  
Hi,

I am trying to interface an Polaris camera system with QNX6.5. This device uses a USB host controller to emulate an RS-
232 connection. I've been loading the devc-serusb driver with module=ftdi. While my vendor id is supported (0x0403), the
 device id is not (0xda70) . In any case, loading this driver has successfully been creating a /dev/serusb1 entry. I 
thought I was well on my way to making this work. But I've run into communication problems. 

First off, what does work? Well, when the system gets powered on, it is the only time the device sends unsolicited 
information to the host computer. Its default communication baudrate is 9600. Changing the baudrate of /dev/serusb1 to 
9600 and performing a cat < /dev/serusb1 successfully retrieves the Polaris reply (RESETBE6F, or whatever). This is 
promising but it's also where the good stuff ends. I have not been able to intelligibly send any command that has then 
returned with the appropriate reply. Sometimes, I can send one or two specific commands that inappropriately reset the 
system. In reply, I get gibberish characters.

I have a feeling this could be related to a mismatching of baudrates as Polaris says that mismatching baudrates can lead
 to resets. But I've tried every single combination of host and polaris baudrate imaginable and nothing appears to work.
 Could someone point me in the right direction?

BTW, I've been able to easily interface this camera system with Windows and Mac OS hosts no problem...