Documents
Documents
Wiki
Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Hybrid Software Model and Open Source Developers: (3 Items)

Hybrid Software Model and Open Source Developers  
I read the document by Lawrence Rosen. In it he writes ...

Open source software thrives when a community of users and developers cooperate to 
develop new solutions for the entire community to share. There are many successful open source projects that work on 
common goals, exchanging ideas and code, mentoring and motivating each other, building product expertise, forming 
partnerships, and profiting from their collective work.  QNX wants its software to grow through that kind of community 
effort. 

However he also writes about the 3 classes of licenses and the only 'non commercial one' is apparently for 'individuals 
or companies to experiment with QNX software and  
to prototype target systems'.

So does this  actually suggest that this recent source code release is not so much an attempt to broaden the community 
but to enable existing commercial licensees to share their modifications in an open manner?

Also, what does 'non commercial' actually entail? If I, for (a contrived) example, decide I want to use Neutrino as a 
web server can I run my commercial site on it or is that automatically 'commercial'.  

Thank You, 

Kristoph

Re: Hybrid Software Model and Open Source Developers  
This is not the first time that QNX Software Systems has made QNX6/Neutrino available for non-commercial use.  When QNX6
 was initially launched at the last QNX user conference in 2000, "QNX RTP" (we'll ignore the confusion that ensued from 
the initial naming) was the non-commercial version available for free download.

The simplified explanation of non-commercial is if you sell what you build with QNX for a profit, then you need a 
commercial development seat and would be required to purchase runtime licenses for any QNX modules shipped.

So, running a web server, even for commercial use, would be considered a non-commercial use since you were not re-
selling QNX for profit and were not reselling a product/application for the QNX platform.

I don't speak for QSS, so if my interpretation is incorrect, I am sure someone from QSS will happily correct me.
Re: Hybrid Software Model and Open Source Developers  
Hi Martin,

The launch of our Hybrid Software Model targets three groups of developers: non-commercial, technology partners and 
commercial.  We offer each of these groups their own form of license to our QNX Momentics development tools and QNX 
Neutrino RTOS that enables them to participate in community activities, including creating and exchanging derivative 
works (see http://licensing.qnx.com/developer-licenses for more details). We certainly do not intend to limit our 
initiative to enabling existing commercial licensees to share their modifications in an open manner, as you have 
questioned; rather, we are equally enabling all three groups of developers to do so with any other QSS licensees 
(whether non-commercial, partner or commercial).  We intend to encourage a broadening of the QNX development community 
by enabling all of these groups.

Regarding your question as to what "non commercial" actually entails, we will be providing guidance in our license 
agreement FAQ pages at http://licensing.qnx.com/ as we get specific examples posed to us from the QNX development 
community.  To address your hypothetical question, our Non-Commercial EULA licenses three types of activity: Evaluation 
- which allows anyone to evaluate our products and do prototype development for 90 days; Academic Faculty - which allows
 our products to be used in classrooms and labs; and Non-Commercial Developer - which allows hobbyists, students and 
others to use our tools and RTOS for a range of activities, for as long as they want, provided the software is not used 
"in or for any commercial undertaking".  To us a "commercial undertaking" primarily includes one that makes money, 
whether in a for-profit or not-for-profit setting. Using QNX Neutrino RTOS in a web server for a commercial site would 
require a commercial runtime license.  Using the QNX Momentics Tools to perform the associated development or 
maintenance for that web server would also require a commercial tool license.

We have been very clear about the fact that we are not "open sourcing" our software. We intend to continue charging 
license fees for use of our technology in a commercial context - that is why we call our license model the Hybrid 
Software Model. By combining a variety of ways to get our software under free licenses, publishing our source code, and 
opening our entire development process to the public, we believe we are delivering a combination of many of the best 
attributes of both the open development and the proprietary development worlds.  Unfortunately for your example, free 
licenses for use of our software in or for a commercial undertaking is not one of them.

- Fred