Wiki
Discussion Forums
Discussions
Project Information
Project Info
Forum Topic - Odd questions: (6 Items)

Odd questions  
Hi,

I am new to the QNX development and I can see that the requirements for Windows do not specify 2008 or Hyper V config as
 supported. Is it worth a shot in order to recognise all cores of multi-socket boxes?

Also playing with the Momentics I can see the highest footprint comes from deb-eide at around 41MB. Is it necessary and 
are there any pointers for setting up this with minimal footprint on x86..

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Re: Odd questions  
I've just seen from the docs that it is related to IDE/disk operation but it doubled with number of cores associated via
 VMWare.. The reason I went for VMWare is because the VPC does not support more than 1 CPU it seems (per target).

Thus the question on HyperV. 

It would still be interesting to learn how to minimise the footprint as I would love to test this against low memory 
hardware.. Any tips or (common numbers even) on reducing the Neutrino footprint appreciated. 

Thanks..
> I've just seen from the docs that it is related to IDE/disk operation but it 
> doubled with number of cores associated via VMWare.. The reason I went for 
> VMWare is because the VPC does not support more than 1 CPU it seems (per 
> target).
> 
> Thus the question on HyperV. 
> 
> It would still be interesting to learn how to minimise the footprint as I 
> would love to test this against low memory hardware.. Any tips or (common 
> numbers even) on reducing the Neutrino footprint appreciated. 
> 
> Thanks..

For your information, have been using QNX on ESX which support 4 cores per VM.  It's a bit painful to install because 
ESX only support scsi which is not part of the normal install CD. But it's doable.  We have a BIG machine running ESX, 
it currently runs 11 QNX6.4.0 VM, each having 4Gig and 4 cores allocated per VM.  There are use as targets to run our 
applications, not for development.  Basically each developer gets it's own VM that is based on our runtime image.  The 
beast has been running for months without a reboot !  Very slick, our IT guy loves it ;-)
> Hi,
> 
> I am new to the QNX development and I can see that the requirements for 
> Windows do not specify 2008 or Hyper V config as supported. Is it worth a shot
>  in order to recognise all cores of multi-socket boxes?
> 
> Also playing with the Momentics I can see the highest footprint comes from deb
> -eide at around 41MB. Is it necessary and are there any pointers for setting 
> up this with minimal footprint on x86..
> 
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

specify io-blk cache=xxx to devb-eide's command line to minimize the memory used by devb-eide. devb-eide will load io-
blk and you can read its document.
cache=total
    The total in-memory cache size allowed. Cache memory is allocated as necessary beyond the initial amount specified 
by the alloc= option until the total size is reached. The memory size uses the suffixes described above; the default is 
15% of system RAM. 
Many thanks for the quick response Dragon Linux :).. Will give those a try and see how it behaves..

Cheers
To have a minimum x86 QNX Neutrino system, you do not install it from CD. You use a build file and specify what you need
, then use mkifs to generate the OS 'image'. This way, you can have an OS image with a disk space requirement of about 1
 - 2 MB, and RAM needed would be below 4 MB.

- Malte